Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I suck at this. A lot. I kick total ass at Home Sweet Home and the beginning of Exit Music, but that's it. :lol:

What are some good basic things to start down the road to wearing my own PK neck tie?

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Learn the little Savatage piano/synth bits that get played all through the songs. Great one-handed piano "riff" practice. Good ones are:

This Isn't What We Meant
If I Go Away
Alone You Breathe
Underture

There are a billion more, and they're simple but sound great and can get you up and running.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Probably just learning a bunch of second species counterpoint would be good.

Learning the correct fingerings for each scale on both the right and left hands is also really important. They aren't the same, so thats a total mindfuck when you are first starting.

And yeah Savatage + Amorphis, Crytopsy's Phobophile has a pretty easy intro.

I would do "When The Crowds are gone" guaranteed to pull in chicks, and you don't have to lose your metal cred to learn it :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Those Savatage bits are perfect for that. One hand or two hands with one doing very basic basslines.

Also, you can run scales and practice swapping in and out of chord shapes.

·
Devil
1,871 Posts
Bach Minuet in G. There's a bunch of versions of it, some more simple than others, but hey its G maj. As guitarists, most of the stuff we riff on is in E min. Only makes sense right?

Also, pick up a book with all of the Hanon exercises in it. They're unmusical and boring as hell, but they WILL train your fingers, get your hands independent of each other (need to remember that since you're switching from guitar, your left hand is backwards and your hands have been trained to be in the exact same rhythm), and will get you used to all key signatures.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I was more thinking on exercises to get my hands workin' the right way. Even basic octaves are a pretty good stretch.
If theres a university nearby just go and sit in on the keyboard skills/piano 1 class. If you haven't played piano extensively it will kick your ass (kicked mine), but drills are the best way to learn.

My teacher was a little asian lady, and yeah its a stereotype, but they are brutal on discipline, she would physically grab your hands and force them into the right positions if you sucked.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Also, are you pretty good at sight reading? Piano and sight reading go pretty much hand in hand. Even if you sight read classical guitar or an instrument in one voice piano will be a bitch at first because its both treble and bass clef.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
If you're looking for a beginners manual, make sure to get one that has numbers above the note names to correspond to the fingers.

Left hand is 1=Pinky - 5=Thumb and Right hand is 1=thumb - 5=pinky

I can take some pictures from my piano manual if you'd like.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Heres the first page of scalar drills out of my favorite piano manual. It has the fingering notation I was talking about.

And yes :lol:, its in german (pre world war II). I took this from my parents bookshelf. Its way brutaller than the namby pamby american stuff. Not even joking, it has like ten times more drills.

·
I MG.org salute you.
2,501 Posts
I suck too but I used to love jamming on some of the old VanHalen stuff as well as Journey and stuff like the old Hill Street Blues theme. :yesway:

·
It's not lupus.
1,689 Posts
I would do "When The Crowds are gone" guaranteed to pull in chicks, and you don't have to lose your metal cred to learn it :lol:
:lol: If it's pulling chicks, I don't care about metal cred. I learned Yann Tiersen's Comptine d'un autre été: L'après midi because it wasn't all that complicated, but still had the right sort of sound to it. It has gotten me laid on more than one occasion.

Also, if you're up for some fun, learn to play the intro to Roses by Outkast. Basic left hand shapes, and a fun little right handed run.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Sounds like now's a good time for me to sit you down with a bottle of booze and teach you some chord theory. It'll make piano WAY easier. :lol:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.