Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at pickups for all of my guitars, now typically I am a Duncan guy, but I am interested in what the general consensus for GFS pickups are. Why are they so cheap? Because there isn't a middle man? Or are they cheap import junk?

The models i'm most interested in are the "Brown Sound" pickup, the Neodymium Tele pickups, the Vintage Split humbucker, and the "Nashville" pickup.

VEH- Vintage Extra Hot- Black- The BROWN SOUND!
Vintage Split Humbucker- Classic Fender Style
Neovin bridge Pickups
GFS Retrotron Nashville Vintage Humbucker Gold

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Stick with the Duncans. These are like cheap stock pickups, sonically.

I wouldn't mind having a set if I was planning on having them rewound, since the quality of bobbins, magnets and plates don't vary much from brand to brand, but I wouldn't look to use them the way they come out of the box.

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
As I said before, I bought a pair of high output single coils buckers for my Charvel tele and while they're better than shitty stock pickups, they're nowhere as good as Duncans. So IMO, they're a slight upgrade from stock pickups (for instance, it's not hard for me to imagine they would be a bit better than the shitty Ibanez stock pickups, wich i've come across a couple of times).

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Search dude, we had a big meltdown thread or two with a Harmony Central guy over GFS Rails. Consensus is: yes, they are pickups, yes they are made cheaply, yes, you get what you pay for.

EDIT: Just saw ^, wise.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
A couple of their models are decent. But, I prefer Duncans, DiMarzios, and Suhrs myself.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.