Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Very cool.

But, Jeff. At that distance from the star, most of the water would be a gas (and liquid water would be boiling hot).

·
18,790 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)sponge:: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Is it as horrifically dull as the movie (of which I literally only remember a scene where they're discussing filtering their urine for drinking water)?

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Very cool.

But, Jeff. At that distance from the star, most of the water would be a gas (and liquid water would be boiling hot).
No, not necessarily at all. It is twice the diameter of the earth, so maybe the mass is greater. If the mass is greater, and the gravity thusly is greater than on earth, the water could stay in condensed form due to increased atmospheric pressure. 100 Celsius is only the boiling point of water at 1 atm pressure.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
The second possibility is an envelope of water with a mass some 20 per cent of the planet's total. (By contrast the water on Earth makes up only 0.023 per cent of its mass.)

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mjolnir: Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.21992/26.1036; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/10.54)

Robin! Quick! To the Temperature-Pressure-Diagram-mobile!

:leon:

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
However, this waterworld is nothing like the planet envisioned in the Kevin Costner movie. 55 Cancer e is so close to its sun that the water is likely to be in a supercritical state, when the liquid and gas phases become one.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
Nice like when you superheat water and it explodes all over the place when you put something in it :yesway:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Man, I miss error bars :wub:

Science = Error bars generated from calculations.

Engineering = "Yeah, uhm, this is the data I got."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts