Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys i am Gassed and have been thinking of getting a gibson and i was wondering if today's gibson black beauty still up to their names as it was? would their tone still live up? am not a gibson fan here but just like todd duane's clip with his gibson as its so good bottom ended crunchy and clear ..... for a 4k deal i might get anothers?

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Fuck Gibson, go buy a Heritage. Chris (jacksonplayer) has a Heritage LPC, and it is all sorts of awesome.

·
Registered
374 Posts
i'm also intrigued about heritage's, but i'd definitely play both guitars before making a
decision.

quality doesn't seem to be very consistent with gibsons (especially USA models). so i wouldn't buy one without having played it first. my '07 LP standard is one of the best guitars i've played, but unfortunately there are A LOT of terrible ones, too.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Hi guys i am Gassed and have been thinking of getting a gibson and i was wondering if today's gibson black beauty still up to their names as it was? would their tone still live up? am not a gibson fan here but just like todd duane's clip with his gibson as its so good bottom ended crunchy and clear ..... for a 4k deal i might get anothers?
Honestly, if that's the sound you're after, there are other options for a LOT less.

On the cheap, check out a PRS SE - I impulse bought a Singlecut, which was everything I don't like in a guitar - neck-thru (or set neck, really, I have no idea), mahogany, short scale, fixed bridge, singlecut, 3x3 headstock - but was an absolute tonal beast, looked cool as hell, and played quite well. With a bit of luck you should be able to snag one for $500 or less, and it'll get you into that tonal ballpark.

If you want something nicer, yeah, a Heritage is a good way to go.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
He is in Singapore, so I'm not sure what his options are for some of those instruments.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Fuck Gibson, go buy a Heritage. Chris (jacksonplayer) has a Heritage LPC, and it is all sorts of awesome.
:agreed:

I don't know if you can easily get a Heritage in Singapore, but they are in many ways the more real Gibson, since they are built in the old Gibson factory by the original guys who built all those classic Gibsons of yesteryear. My Heritage LPC is an amazing instrument and blows away any recent Gibson I've played.

hopkinWFG, since you are in Singapore I'll bet you could get one of the ESP Edwards Les Pauls, which are supposed to be very good imitations of the Gibsons. We can't get them (officially, at least) in the USA for legal reasons.

ESP | EDWARDS | E-LP-92CD

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
The LP Customs are custom shop guitars, aren't they? I believe the entire ES line is, but I haven't done much digging.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
:agreed:

I don't know if you can easily get a Heritage in Singapore, but they are in many ways the more real Gibson, since they are built in the old Gibson factory by the original guys who built all those classic Gibsons of yesteryear. My Heritage LPC is an amazing instrument and blows away any recent Gibson I've played.

hopkinWFG, since you are in Singapore I'll bet you could get one of the ESP Edwards Les Pauls, which are supposed to be very good imitations of the Gibsons. We can't get them (officially, at least) in the USA for legal reasons.

ESP | EDWARDS | E-LP-92CD
I would play the shit out of that. :drool:

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
The LP Customs are custom shop guitars, aren't they? I believe the entire ES line is, but I haven't done much digging.
They are made in the Custom Shop, but Gibson still produces quite a few of them despite that. If you want a non-weight-relieved LPC, however, you have to get one of the Historics, which are $$$$. Or you can get a Heritage, which is preferable for many reasons. ;)

I would play the shit out of that. :drool:
I've read almost nothing but good things about the Edwards LPs. They are made by FujiGen and are basically the equivalent of the ESP Standard Series, quality-wise. They have poly finishes and aren't Latin American mahogany, but they still are supposed to play and sound very good.

I did briefly have an Edwards '61 SG Custom replica, which was a very nice guitar that I just couldn't deal with because of the neck dive (which is, unfortunately, a quite authentic feature of the original '61 SG--later redesigns fixed that). While I had that guitar, I had a chance to play a Gibson Historic VOS '61 SG Custom, and the two felt almost identical and differed mainly in some of the small details. The Gibson probably sounded a little more characteristically SG-like, but that may have been because of the pickups.

Some guy on HC was selling a 3-pickup Edwards LPC that I was sorely tempted by, but I just couldn't justify getting another LP.

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
These Pauls and the Opeth signature are probably the only guitars that look good enough for me to forgive the gold hardware. Want.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Thanks guys and yes unfortunately i am from singapore hahah but hey this heritage looks sweet... think i might go for heritage since they were promised by the yesteryears of gibson employees... but again how would the tone be compromised as compared to the lets say original gibson?

guys and thats what i meant !! todd duane is pure goodness his tone is to die for? haha or i might need to get his super modded ******* marshalls? lol

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
the tone of an average heritage is closer to the tone of an old gibson than most newer gibsons tone is

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Thanks guys and yes unfortunately i am from singapore hahah but hey this heritage looks sweet... think i might go for heritage since they were promised by the yesteryears of gibson employees... but again how would the tone be compromised as compared to the lets say original gibson?
It's the same tone. In fact, the Heritage probably sounds more like a classic Les Paul than a current Gibson, since the Heritage doesn't have weight-relief holes in it. If you get a Heritage LP, be prepared to carry around a HEAVY guitar!

If you want to import one from the USA, I recommend contacting Wolfe Guitars in Florida. They are the largest Heritage dealer and should be able to help you out.

Wolfe Guitars - Jupiter, FL- Heritage Guitars - World's Largest Dealer

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's the same tone. In fact, the Heritage probably sounds more like a classic Les Paul than a current Gibson, since the Heritage doesn't have weight-relief holes in it. If you get a Heritage LP, be prepared to carry around a HEAVY guitar!

If you want to import one from the USA, I recommend contacting Wolfe Guitars in Florida. They are the largest Heritage dealer and should be able to help you out.

Wolfe Guitars - Jupiter, FL- Heritage Guitars - World's Largest Dealer
Thank you for the nice link you attached...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts