Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://reverb.com/blog/breaking-gibson-to-revert-prices-and-specs-on-2016-models?_aid=fb

It seems the higher-ups at Gibson USA have finally heard the outcry of the guitar playing public over the 2015 model line-up. According to information recently made available, the classic American builder detailed a general lowering of prices for the 2016 models as well as an abandonment of 2015 design changes including the controversial G-Force automatic tuning systems.

The price points on the 2016 models will be roughly 20-25% lower than 2015, and comparable to the 2014 catalog. The Les Paul Standard is reported to carry a new price of $2799 while a new SG Standard will list for $1199.

In addition to the price reduction, Gibson is set to ditch such 2015 design updates as the Zero nut, Les Paul commemorative headstock inlay and the installation of automatic tuning machines on every guitar. The available models will be similar to that of 2012 including the reintroduction Faded finish guitars, the Explorer and Flying V Pro.

It's difficult to say whether this sudden reversal of Gibson evolution will spark a new epoch for the Nashville firm, or if the players who have moved on will stay moved on. For now, we'll be keeping a close eye on how this turn of events will affect prices on used Gibsons here on Reverb.
Some of them are on ZZsounds right now.

Gibson 2016 Models

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I'm curious to see what the actual sales figures were :lol:

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
I don't know who in the world would think they would be justified in paying for a brand new Gibson Les Paul Standard for 2700$?

To me that is just absurd. You could be quality used 80's Standard Model for lie 1,600$-1,800$ and be much better off.

·
Imp Slap
2,033 Posts
edit: From MLP. :lol:

I don't think it's "The people spoke and Gibson listened" so much as "Sales plummeted and Gibson chit themselves."
This is good news. I'd really like an SG Standard or Jr, so if I can get it for less money and without the stupid robot tuners, then I'm all for it.

If it sounded good and the fretwork was nice, I'd buy a Firebird or a Thunderbird for $1k. Wonder if there are other finishes available.
Apparently they were originally designed to compete with Fender's stuff in the '60s, and came in a lot of Fender style colours (surf green, fiesta red, etc). I'd like to see them reissue a lot of those old colours. If I could get a Firebird in Surf Green or Pelham Blue, I'd be all over it.

Hot damn, for $740 this ain't too shabby lookin'

That looks surprisingly good. I can't imagine buying an Epiphone when you could get one of these for <$800. Hate to see the Canadian price, though. :(

·
Arrr, Matey!
1,798 Posts
It's interesting the V has a bound neck and body, at least in the Zzounds photo.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
Great first step. Now if they can fix their quality control that would really be something

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
edit: From MLP. :lol:
Well, they did hear the people. The people just spoke with their wallets. :lol:

I'm hoping Gibson got the message. I want them to pander the fuck out of us and release more Faded V's and Explorers.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Only thing I remotely care about is the return of the Explorer. Won't care much more until the do a proper reissue of the 83-84 model with an actual alder body, dirty fingers and original control layout, not the one the copied form ESP.

·
Arrr, Matey!
1,798 Posts
Only thing I remotely care about is the return of the Explorer. Won't care much more until the do a proper reissue of the 83-84 model with an actual alder body, dirty fingers and original control layout, not the one the copied form ESP.
Absolutely, I still want to get a killer explorer some day.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Absolutely, I still want to get a killer explorer some day.
I'm tempted to buy one of the ugly art series ones and strip it and refinish it to a proper colour as they're so much cheaper. There's one in Aqua burst in Japan for like $1200 I'm contemplating getting.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts