Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
How about $30 for two switch tips? That's a KILLER deal!

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How about $30 for two switch tips? That's a KILLER deal!
Now don't forget to include a Historic Toggle Switch Washer with that (for a mere $45.99). We can't have on your Les Paul a non-historic washer with a historic switch tip. That's certainly going to affect the tone. :nono:

·
AVH Guitar Repair
327 Posts
As much as I love vintage Gibbies, that stuff is waaaay out to lunch, for basically reliced crap. Knob pointers? We used to call those skin rippers. The price of the truss rod cover and those Sprague bumble bee caps is particularly insulting. I have a good handful of those caps, which cost me what, about $5 ea. Nuts. :roll2:

·
Good news, Everyone!
1,528 Posts
Psh, If I want vintage electronics, I just drive down City Line to the Hole-in-the-wall electronics shop run by some Soviet-era Russkie who sells soviet military surplus electronics from the 70's :lol: I've got more than one transformer and more than a few vaccum tubes lying around my basement with Russian printing on them.

Why would you want the older stuff, anyway? New stuff is better, at least as parts go.

·
AVH Guitar Repair
327 Posts
Why would you want the older stuff, anyway? New stuff is better, at least as parts go.
By this I'm going to presume you don't, or haven't owned any actual vintage instruments... :)

Guys who already own vintage axes (like myself), who want to replace broken or uselessly worn parts, and can't afford to buy real originals, can resort to buying these relic parts, to at least keep the general vintage look intact, if not the actual tonal mojo if applicable. Personally, I think the whole relic scene is pretentious bullshit. Save your cash and wait for the good deals on real vintage instruments or parts, it'll come. It's out there if you know where to look and have patience. And yes, there is a huge difference in the tone and feel between a really good, vintage instrument and a resulting reissue. The reissue '58 Les Paul Jr., '59 ES175 or '62 P.Bass can't hold a candle to the originals I have, flat out true. ;)

·
HAWKS & FUCK SEC!
1,672 Posts
I agree that the vintage instruments will sound better but you still gotta find "that" guitar that truly is a tone monster. Some of em will suck no doubt. But how much can individual parts actually matter? As long as the part is high quality and not cheaply made then fine. But a vintage'd part??? That's for people that have more money than brains. And if your willing to buy that I got some beach front property in Iowa to sell you....

My two yen anyway.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
If you like the tone that I get, it's all due to the awesome fuckin' switch tips that I'm running. :yesway:

·
Y R U Avoiding Me?
1,403 Posts
This is genius "negative to positive" marketing. You have a flood at your factory....now all those damaged parts are relic parts. Lemons to lemonade. Fuck Gibson.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I thought it was the Blinkie Light VU Meter of Doom that made your tone rule so much?

·
Arrr, Matey!
1,798 Posts
Its actually pretty funny how out of touch with reality Gibson is these days...

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
They're only out of touch if the parts don't sell... if they do sell, then Gibson is just fulling a market need.... for cork sniffers!
Hey, I can't knock ANYONE for separating rich lawyers from their money. :lol:

·
Arrr, Matey!
1,798 Posts
They're only out of touch if the parts don't sell... if they do sell, then Gibson is just fulling a market need.... for cork sniffers!
You have to be a cork sniffer just to buy a new Gibson these days...$2500 for a Les Paul Standard? Only the lawyers can even afford them! Does quality control even count if all the parts are "aged"?

·
AVH Guitar Repair
327 Posts
True, most are overpriced these days, especially the VOS's and shit like that. The Gibs I'm fond of are the actual old ones, and that's only because I was fortunate enough to have them around because of my musician father, and because I'm just old enough to remember the '70's and how cheaply you could get used 50's & 60's Gibsons, Fenders, Martins and such back then. Back then a good Tele or Strat you could easily find for $150-250, SG's for 300-350, and a decent Les Paul you could grab for about $4-500. My pops bought my 58 LP Jr for my 8th birthday back in '72 for the princely sum of $75 :lol:
My current LP Classic Custom I only bought because I scored it for under 1500.

In perspective, lots of guys out there buy $1500-2500, basswood bodied, plain grade 3-5 ply maple necked, thick polyester coated bolt shred machines for what could be also perceived as ridiculous. Swirl UV's and such...well are they actually worth that either?

I don't think so either.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts