Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)yesway:)

Neck diiiiiiiive!

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
I'm one of the few here that loves SGs.

As a 7? Nope. Just like the LP, it doesn't look right IMO.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
A 24 fret SG. Interesting.

Price is high, but they're limited edition. Probably testing the market to gauge interest before making a production model.
That's nothing new. Keep in mind, that the neck humbucker on an SG is ALWAYS in the 24 fret position, even if it's only 22 frets.
Completely shitty design, soundwise. There's no reason to buy a 22 fret SG because the neck pickup will sound the same no matter if you get 22 or 24.

Tommi sporting a 24 fret Floyd SG. :cool:

Personally I'm not into SGs at all... The 7 string versions looks even worse.

And that comes from somebody who actually things Explorers and Les Pauls looks really nice as 7-stringers, even tho I would probably never buy a 7-string in my whole life.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Without going into the whole Gibson deal, 24.75" scale on a 7-string just sucks, IMO. Yes, you can get it to work, but it's just not ideal.

·
The Singlecut King of Northern VA
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Without going into the whole Gibson deal, 24.75" scale on a 7-string just sucks, IMO. Yes, you can get it to work, but it's just not ideal.
No problem with the 24.75 on my 7 string Les Paul, I mean if you want that super tight not realistic guitar tone then yeah You will be disappointed, but for non djent players there is no issue.

FYI saw Dave play with Division, the whole show he used his Les Paul 7 string and sounded great.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

Fuck Gibson and their fucking Richlite bullshit. :noway:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I also am disappointed that these don't have bound fretboards. I am glad they don't have stupid EMGs, though.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
This is BS.

24.75" tuned to B sounds better than 25.5" or above tuned to B. 24.75" usually just sounds better. 7 strings do suck though.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I agree with most of this.
I don't actually think his opinion is bullshit, even though he thinks mine is. :( But with anything tuned down, to maintain any sort of tension at that scale you're talking thick strings. I'd much rather have a longer scale, for sure.

But, to each their own.

·
The Singlecut King of Northern VA
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I also am disappointed that these don't have bound fretboards. I am glad they don't have stupid EMGs, though.
They are bound, just not over the frets, the white has arctic white binding and the black has black binding, it says it in the summary of the guitar at the top of the page when you first view it.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I don't actually think his opinion is bullshit, even though he thinks mine is. :( But with anything tuned down, to maintain any sort of tension at that scale you're talking thick strings. I'd much rather have a longer scale, for sure.

But, to each their own.
Having been recording with my 7-string Les Paul, this isn't really backed up by recording. In the room, it sounds flubbier than it does on a recording. Not that 25.5 doesn't sound tighter in comparison, mind you, but the blend of the two is just as awesome in B as it is in E, just like it has been on recording forever. Mike and I are getting some really great sounds between my Les Paul and his Soloist.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
They are bound, just not over the frets, the white has arctic white binding and the black has black binding, it says it in the summary of the guitar at the top of the page when you first view it.
Wow, what a mistake. The binding should contrast with the fretboard and paint. They obviously need some multiply binding (which always looked best with ebony, anyway).

1 - 20 of 44 Posts