9,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Unfortunately, not actively pursuing likeness and copyright violations is setting a precedent for not claiming those rights. Fender never asserted claims over the Strat and Tele shapes, which is why everyone under the sun has a Strat and Tele shaped guitr available. If Gibson does not aggressively protect their likeness rights and copyrights, then they will lose future court cases when someone starts churning out exact Les Paul copies.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Thta is a Valid Point Noodles. But Gibson seemed to Dip into the "Ripping off" other companys too a few years ago. I saw a RR copy from then from I think was around 99-02 or something. :nuts:

Those Paper Jamz guitars are surprisingly fun. I rock the fuck out of the Wal-Mart toy department. :metal:
:lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Unfortunately, not actively pursuing likeness and copyright violations is setting a precedent for not claiming those rights. Fender never asserted claims over the Strat and Tele shapes, which is why everyone under the sun has a Strat and Tele shaped guitr available. If Gibson does not aggressively protect their likeness rights and copyrights, then they will lose future court cases when someone starts churning out exact Les Paul copies.
Exactly. This is why Eddie Van Halen had to sue Nike or some other shoe manufacturer who was using a design substantially similar to his trademarked red-white-and-black striped design.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
I think this is a bit over kill though. :lol: I could under stand if they went after Say Agile or GFS guitar line. But Taking down a Toy company?? Low on Gibsons part I believe.:noway:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I think this is a bit over kill though. :lol: I could under stand if they went after Say Agile or GFS guitar line. But Taking down a Toy company?? Low on Gibsons part I believe.:noway:
Nope. Allowing a company (ANY company) to impinge on your trademarks without defending it makes it much easier for a genuine competitor to impinge on your trademarks.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Ok, but why haven't they gone after brands like Agile already, who have been ripping off Gibson for years?
Take note of how the Agile LP copies have changed the shape of their cutaway to get around the copyright:

You won't see copies in the US selling with the exact LP shape, and the horn is usually where they change it.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Take note of how the Agile LP copies have changed the shape of their cutaway to get around the copyright:

(LP pics)

You won't see copies in the US selling with the exact LP shape, and the horn is usually where they change it.
I have seen some that have teh same shape but changed the electronic layouts. ESP sorta comes to mind but they als have 24 frets on most models. But I have seen alot of the "LP-ish" guitars with the rounder horn like the agile.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.