Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After seeing a post here about Explorers, I decided to take a look through Gibson and Epiphones websites as I wouldn't mind having one again. To my dismay there was almost none. Gibson only do the V and Explorer in the Government Series II or one of a select few signature models. Same goes for Epiphone but now it's just the Goth Explorer, 1984 Explorer and the Rob Flynn V. Most disappointing as I love the Explorer both from an ergonomic point but also the scrappy young teen in me always wanted to look as cool as Hetfield. :smoking:

So I would hazard a guess that Gibsons sales of those lines are falling badly enough to relegate them to a minute portion of overall production. No shortage of Les Paul, SG and ES models though. I wonder what the future holds for these pointy guitars or will it be a repeat of their earliest history, struck from the catalogue until the time is right for a reissue?

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
Actually, they discontinued them a while back. I think they were calling it the "X" series? With only certain models available (signature and so forth)

Now they've got the anniversary models out in limited production, but I'm thinking that's about it.

I'm sure there's more to it then that, but I'm kinda indisposed.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, they discontinued them a while back. I think they were calling it the "X" series? With only certain models available (signature and so forth)

Now they've got the anniversary models out in limited production, but I'm thinking that's about it.

I'm sure there's more to it then that, but I'm kinda indisposed.
They called them the X series for a couple years but stopped I think in about 2007-8 and just had them as their original names and such. There were quite a few models just 2 years ago including that abortion 'Holy Explorer'. :face melt:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
As far as I can tell, Gibson only does short runs on everything except Les Pauls and SGs.
...of which they do nine billion production models.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
They didnt wind it down, they just discontinued them on the spot. :( Hell, I don't even think Epiphone makes Vs anymore besides the 2 sig models

1 - 11 of 11 Posts