Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your thoughts on using Gibson's Firebird pickups in a modern metal setting?

·
Its Nis Pe, bitch!
605 Posts
Try it out and see where it takes you man, all the power to ya. :yesway: Plenty of dudes have made single coils work for metal so I'm sure you can at least find something relatively usable using those pickups.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Try it out and see where it takes you man, all the power to ya. :yesway: Plenty of dudes have made single coils work for metal so I'm sure you can at least find something relatively usable using those pickups.
Firebirds use minibuckers, though.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
The last time I played a firebird it sounded pretty cool I think you should be able to get it to work just fine.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Crom must have been listening...

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Also, man, Tricrow? Why doesn't *my* studio have a bitch'n name like that...

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Depends on what you mean by "modern metal."

If you're down tuning, Gibson minibuckers might be very good at retaining clarity. The rest is what you do with the amp

·
Its Nis Pe, bitch!
605 Posts
Firebirds use minibuckers, though.
I'm well aware, I just meant lower-output pickups in general are capable of metal is all and he should be able to find a usable sound with em' if he decides to go that route.

Also, for what its worth mini-buckers sound awesome for lower tunings on a baritone at least. I had a Hellcat VI with some Duncan Designed minis and I'll agree they have great clarity though the scale length probably has a good deal to do with that as well. I still say give it a shot and let us know what you find out man.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all!

Crom must have been listening...

That confirms it! It metals!

Depends on what you mean by "modern metal."

If you're down tuning, Gibson minibuckers might be very good at retaining clarity. The rest is what you do with the amp
Also, for what its worth mini-buckers sound awesome for lower tunings on a baritone at least. I had a Hellcat VI with some Duncan Designed minis and I'll agree they have great clarity though the scale length probably has a good deal to do with that as well. I still say give it a shot and let us know what you find out man.
Yes, my intention is to down tune. I already have a drop D tuned standard guitar (well, it's a 25" PRS), a 28" baritone on drop B. I have recently acquired an interesting resin body 25.5" guitar (got for almost nothing) that I intend to tune to drop C. I just may have the opportunity to get a Gibson Firebird 2000 pickup set.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts