Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, Like the other thread asking about what toggle would be good. I need info on soldering irons so I can try and do this my self :ugh:

I need to know how many watts is too high, or if that really matters. I also would like suggestions of one to try and get.

Also, Home Depot seems like the only place in this town to buy them :lol:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Don't get a soldering "gun", as they generally come in wattages that are too high. It'll melt your solder fast, but it'll also melt your components. Get a soldering "iron" of no more than 40w. If you can keep your tip clean, 20w is completely sufficient :yesway:

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
first off..Anyone else see the "Facebook Like" button in my first post?

and secondly, The stuff Home Depot has is the screw driver looking ones. I'm guess those are the "Irons"

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Yep, those are the irons. Also, soldering pro-tip: heat the thing you want to solder, then touch the solder to the thing you want to solder. Never melt the solder on the iron, you'll get what's called a "cold solder joint". You'll want to "tin your tip*", though, which means just putting a little bit of solder on the tip of the iron before heating your stuff.

*lol

·
Read Only
10 Posts
first off..Anyone else see the "Facebook Like" button in my first post?
http://www.metalguitarist.org/forum/mg-org-status-updates/30296-facebook-like-button.html

and secondly, The stuff Home Depot has is the screw driver looking ones. I'm guess those are the "Irons"
Don't get a shitty soldering iron. There's a huge difference between the cheap low-wattage ones and the ones that are only a few bucks more and run hotter. You can solder connections with the cheap ones, but the first time you try to heat up a pot with a 20W gun you'll want to rip your fucking eyeballs out. :mad: Definitely go for a decent 40W, or (if you can swing it) something adjustable.

5-40 for this one, which isn't bad.

http://www.amazon.com/Weller-WLC100-Soldering-Hobbyist-Yourselfer/dp/B000AS28UC/ref=pd_sim_t_3

Leon said:
If you can keep your tip clean, 20w is completely sufficient :yesway:
I respectfully disagree. :wub:

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
http://www.metalguitarist.org/forum/mg-org-status-updates/30296-facebook-like-button.html

Don't get a shitty soldering iron. There's a huge difference between the cheap low-wattage ones and the ones that are only a few bucks more and run hotter. You can solder connections with the cheap ones, but the first time you try to heat up a pot with a 20W gun you'll want to rip your fucking eyeballs out. :mad: Definitely go for a decent 40W, or (if you can swing it) something adjustable.

5-40 for this one, which isn't bad.

Amazon.com: Weller WLC100 Soldering Station for Hobbyist and Do-It-Yourselfer: Home Improvement

I respectfully disagree. :wub:
AH to the facebook thing. I thought I was going crazy for a second...:ugh:

I was thinking to pick up a 40watt, I figured before I did I'd ask here to get as much info as I could and some tips for when I actually get the toggle and shit :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I use a 40w iron, but I've got mad soldering skills :lol:. I generally suggest 20w for beginners, so they don't fry components.
If you're going to fry something with a 40w iron, you'd have to be extremely patient. :lol:

If OP buys a 20W iron, it will be in the trash the first time he tries to unsolder a ground from a pot. So sure, if all you ever intend to do is change output jacks, get a 20W. But if you want to change pots or pickups, get a 40 or higher.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you're going to fry something with a 40w iron, you'd have to be extremely patient. :lol:

If OP buys a 20W iron, it will be in the trash the first time he tries to unsolder a ground from a pot. So sure, if all you ever intend to do is change output jacks, get a 20W. But if you want to change pots or pickups, get a 40 or higher.
Hmm... you make a good point... If I ever get anything else that has shitty pickups that I want to swap out then that would be ideal...:lol: still though Home Depot has a few for like 20 bucks both 20 and 40 watts with like a 2 dollar differences between the two :lol:

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And I have been wanting to learn to set up and do shit like that myself to save me money and time in the long run...Fucking shop charges to LOOK at the guitar before they do anything then they charge for actually doing it.... It sucks for me since I don't make enough to have them set up my stuff everytime I need it to be set up :lol:

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think I might just pickup on from Hoe Depot to save a bit of money on that. I think I'll have to order the Toggle from Allparts though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.