Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Sounds awesome; basically just like the originals. Please remind me to not read the fucking comments. No matter how good something sounds, someone's always there to be a whiney bitch about it.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Axe-II dudes, his tone matches are pretty damn awesome too. I tossed them in the preset library here in case his Dropbox link goes away.

·
Bork!
8,292 Posts
This guy is awesome. :lol:

His hatred of bass players is hilarious.

Edit: Strangely enough, I like the cobra the best out of those clips. :nuts:

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Wirelessly posted

My buddy just got an axe fx 2, very excited to check it out.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Also, his criticism of using the Axe-Fx direct to FOH and monitors is spot the fuck on. I only had two good experiences at probably twenty gigs with that method. The prick working at the "Legendary" Stone Pony put a fucking microphone in front of the tweeter of my Atomic cab and told me to shut the fuck up when I suggested otherwise.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Also, his criticism of using the Axe-Fx direct to FOH and monitors is spot the fuck on. I only had two good experiences at probably twenty gigs with that method. The prick working at the "Legendary" Stone Pony put a fucking microphone in front of the tweeter of my Atomic cab and told me to shut the fuck up when I suggested otherwise.
:lol:

Given my experience with local sound guys, I am completely unsurprised. Luckily, with bass, I can just give him a hole to plug his XLR cable into and he can deal with the rest, since they're used to taking DI off of any rig, regardless of whether it's a SVT tube rig or some tiny little solid state job.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a question, and I've harnessed the technological wizardry of my iPhone to create a riveting video of my XL in action!

Why don't you cheap bastards just do this? I don't even play in a fucking band and I could run FoH, monitors and cab off of my single XL no prob. :lol:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Generally speaking, you've exceeded the level of technical ability of the local gig master already. It's much easier to just bring a 4x12 or a 2x12, mic it, and if you want your own "monitor" or something to point at the drummer's face, a little 1x12 or other backup. Let them do their thing with the microphone and don't create a hassle.

You have 10 minutes to help the last band lug their shit off stage, huff your shit up, tune guitars, argue with your mentally disabled singer one last time about the set list, crack the 2nd brewski, re-tune your guitars, fix your fucking wireless that just went out again goddammit I hate that fucking thing I mean what the FUCK, and get your game face on. Explaining how you want *your* sound to be managed to the sonic ape of the evening is a losing proposition.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)yesway:)

Ironically, a lot of bass players have the opposite problem: they have an awesome tube rig they want mic'ed, and instead the sound guy throws a $20 Behringer DI between their bass and the amp.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Wirelessly posted

...I'm just in a band that doesnt need the guitars mic'd :lol:

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Nice video. :yesway: The Fractal Audio stuff is expensive and I don't really see myself buying another one unless I start seriously gigging and recording again... which I don't see happening anytime soon.

I gigged with an Axe-FX Ultra for about 3 years. I did run the Axe-FX straight into the PA a few times, but I always had an amp (usually a Marshall JCM800 or JCM2000) that I was also running the Axe-FX through. Usually I just ran the Axe-FX through the amp and had the amp miked like people do when they don't have an Axe-FX.

·
HAWKS & FUCK SEC!
1,672 Posts
This guy is fucking awesome! That alone made this video worth watching...and I liked how he quickly went through each amp.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Generally speaking, you've exceeded the level of technical ability of the local gig master already. It's much easier to just bring a 4x12 or a 2x12, mic it, and if you want your own "monitor" or something to point at the drummer's face, a little 1x12 or other backup. Let them do their thing with the microphone and don't create a hassle.

You have 10 minutes to help the last band lug their shit off stage, huff your shit up, tune guitars, argue with your mentally disabled singer one last time about the set list, crack the 2nd brewski, re-tune your guitars, fix your fucking wireless that just went out again goddammit I hate that fucking thing I mean what the FUCK, and get your game face on. Explaining how you want *your* sound to be managed to the sonic ape of the evening is a losing proposition.
People really have a problem disconnecting a mic from a cable, and allowing you to plug it into an axe instead? Weird.

I don't gig, but my friend is just running a JDX to the board now (actually, I think he switched to the CabClone now), and it sounds awesome. Just a low tech version of what Chris shows.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I learned that it was best to bring a high quality DI box with me. I'd offer to plug it in instead of the mic. I got shit once even with that arrangement, so I unplugged the mic when he wasn't looking used the DI box anyway and it went well.

I could dial in a nice stage volume and let the sound guy do whatever he wanted for FOH volume and monitor mix stuff.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I learned that it was best to bring a high quality DI box with me. I'd offer to plug it in instead of the mic. I got shit once even with that arrangement, so I unplugged the mic when he wasn't looking used the DI box anyway and it went well.

I could dial in a nice stage volume and let the sound guy do whatever he wanted for FOH volume and monitor mix stuff.
The guys around here are usually pretty damn happy with my buddy and the other guitarist. Perhaps the JDX or Cabclone isn't 100% the real deal, but I think in a live instance, with the lack of bleed from real mics, it makes things a bit easier for sound guys.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
lol @ "playing live"

1 - 20 of 25 Posts