Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found: An Earthlike Planet at Last - TIME

Earth-like planet? Sits right in the 'Goldilocks Zone' where life seems to (at least as we're any indication) thrive.

Time said:
For one thing, the planet is only about three or four times as massive as our home world, meaning it probably has a solid surface just like Earth. Much more important, it sits smack in the middle of the so-called habitable zone, orbiting at just the right distance from the star to let water remain liquid rather than freezing solid or boiling away. As far as we know, that's a minimum requirement for the presence of life.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
It's only about 20 light years away if Leon could get us to 99% of the speed of light we could be there in no time.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Interesting. Veeeeery interesting.

Finding a planet that could potentially support life is a major step toward answering the timeless question: Are we alone?
I hate these kinds of questions. They try to make it sound depressing and philosophical at the same time, when the real question should be "Would it matter if we were 'alone'?"

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
Forgive me for geeking out, but this is pretty damn exciting. As far as interstellar travel goes, 20 light years is pretty close by. This could end up being a seriously viable option for colonization depending on what it's made of, what the atmosphere is like, and holy shit, maybe depending on what kind of life is there. There are a lot of variables, but some of the big ones seem to be in our favor.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Forgive me for geeking out, but this is pretty damn exciting. As far as interstellar travel goes, 20 light years is pretty close by. This could end up being a seriously viable option for colonization depending on what it's made of, what the atmosphere is like, and holy shit, maybe depending on what kind of life is there. There are a lot of variables, but some of the big ones seem to be in our favor.
I think you mean "on an intergalatic scale, 20 light years is pretty close by."

As far as interstellar travel goes, it is not close by... AT ALL. The farthest a probe has ever gotten before is Voyager 1, which hasn't even gotten to Pluto yet, and it was launched 33 years ago (in 1977). Pluto's orbit goes anywhere from 30 to 50 astronomical units from the sun. At it's current rate, it'll have traveled 1 light year in about 70,000 years from now.

So, while 20 light years is VERY VERY VERY VERY close on the scope of the Milky Way galaxy or our galactic neighborhood, it's insanely far away as far as interstellar travel goes.

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
No, I mean interstellar: between different stars. Since it's still in our galaxy, it's not intergalactic. There are apparently 116 stars we know of that are closer, but that's a small number compared to the number of stars in the Milky Way. Either way, though, semantics aside, 20 light years should be doable when the time comes.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
Yeah, it's as exciting as hell :) Makes you wish you could live to 1000 to see what's coming in the not so distant future. I wonder if this will get on CNN's front page ;)

Voyager 1 passed Pluto in 1990. Pioneer 10 was the first man-made object to pass Pluto, and it did so in 1983. :)
Yeah, we were just discussing the possibility of a 'new physical force' in another thread last week, based on the speed variations of VGer as it glides through the Kuiper Belt.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Voyager 1 passed Pluto in 1990. Pioneer 10 was the first man-made object to pass Pluto, and it did so in 1983. :)
Ah, right. Forgot about that. Still, the distance I guessed at compared to the actual distance is not that big of a difference on the scale of a light year. It should still take 60,000 - 70,000 years to travel a full light year at its current speed (obviously that's not it's purpose, though).

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
No, I mean interstellar: between different stars. Since it's still in our galaxy, it's not intergalactic. There are apparently 116 stars we know of that are closer, but that's a small number compared to the number of stars in the Milky Way. Either way, though, semantics aside, 20 light years should be doable when the time comes.
I'll definitely agree that 20 light years is very very close on an interstellar scale (but not "as far as interstellar travel goes").

I'm not going to say "there's no way, man!" or anything like that, but I personally doubt 20 light years will ever be doable.

·
Neil deGrasse Tyson is my HERO.
1,053 Posts
How long would it take to travel to gliese 581 g (the "Goldilocks" planet)? - Yahoo! Answers

:lol: That guy's chips have so much urine on them.

·
Neil deGrasse Tyson is my HERO.
1,053 Posts
I'll definitely agree that 20 light years is very very close on an interstellar scale (but not "as far as interstellar travel goes").

I'm not going to say "there's no way, man!" or anything like that, but I personally doubt 20 light years will ever be doable.
It would take 300,000 years to get there travelling at half the speed of light :lol:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.