Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I come from a long, wide search through the web before to post this (my first post ever/cheers .)
I want to get an 8.
That's the point.
(I've never went 7. I wanted.. but)
After all my runs, I come to the Schecter Damien Elite 8
(€ 750 here, I guess less in the US).
My budget come just to this.

My questions are a lot.
First, Emgs 808 vs Duncan Blackouts (I'm a kind of emg lover) - the guitar comes with 808s and my budget is still there, like said before.
(there are Schecter with the BOs but they're not imported here - I guess I could ask specifically for it).
Anyway, the Tobin Abasi's tone is just terrific (...but at the EMG studios...) Ibanez RG2228 and 808x.
2) The neck scale (I'm not a lot into that kind of things. I'd have to). the Damien is shorter than some, but longer than the ESPs
(love the Deftones's tone a lot - 808s too for their production)
3)Mahogany body with quilted maple top/Bolt on/rosewood over maple neck
Sounds good but can it get too dark?
(I'm a proud lespaulER - Heritage Gary Moore w/ Duncans Alnico II pro/n & Pearly Gates/br - all the possible ways switchable - I still wait the axe from the shop, maybe tomorrow)

I've watched every video around (not proof ones) and I can say, I liked what I've heard and, a lot, what I've seen (love the look!).

Agile are not imported here in Italy (I guess I could buy it online somewhere but I don't like their look so much and I want a two pups config. with the budget).

[I confess you] I play through a Pod X3 Live straight into neutral amplifications. I just love it :p
(I mostly write, record and play at home on the electric at the moment - When I'm around, I'm with my D-28 by my side).

I don't know if I've asked everything I wanted but I wish some of you could give me a right word.
Do I have to get this guitar?

(Sorry for my english and for the lenght of the post)

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
The 808s aren't too terrible, just a bit boring-sounding. Back them off a bit from the strings, and wire them for 18V, and that helps.

Get rid of the stock strings ASAP. The gauges are: .010 .013 .017 .030 .042 .054 .064 .074. They're a little too heavy/tight in the middle, and the 8th is too light, especially compared to the rest. I found myself needing to adjust my pick attack too much to play comfortably until I restrung with the following gauges: .010 .013 .017 .026 .036 .046 .062 .080.

I haven't had any problems with it being too dark, and I tend to like relatively bright guitars. I don't have any recordings of it yet, though.

Here's mine:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks, Warrior.
"The 808s aren't too terrible" sounds soooo deeply ugly.
I love my 89/81 on my beloved Ibanez Professional (6 Les Paul kind a like - 1977) awesome instruments.
About the strings, I use on my 6s Ernie Ball 10/52 but I will try some heavy bottom cauges on the lows (I'm still not sure I'll get this axe).
Glad to hear you say "relatively bright guitars"! I'll try that 80 for sure.
I'll ask my tech about that 18v mod.
What about the Blackouts anyway? You're most into those?
cheers

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
In my opinion Blackouts are better than 808s.

However, if you like the sound that Tosin has in the EMG video, remember that running your EMG 808s with 18V will make them sound fairly close to what he had (808X). 808s are like 707s, and the best tonal reference I can come up with for those is Jeff Loomis of Nevermore.

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
I do like the Blackouts better (from the one time I tried them, and did a direct comparison between them and the 808s), but I haven't changed to them yet because I don't have the money to buy them outright (even if I sold the 808s, I just don't have it available up front), and I don't know anyone who'd want to do a straight trade.

A lot of people are of the opinion that the 808s just outright suck, and that's why I worded that statement the way I did. With some tweaks, they're not as bad as some people say.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess, I'll have to give a try to that 18v mod, mahn.
I don't know the Nevermore, I'll do this asap.

About the emgs, warrior, me too I've read a pretty amount of bad stuff about them.
I'm a Duncan fan for my paf/like lovelies so I'm so tempted to black all out but the budgets listens to no reasons.
And, even with all the s**t about them, the emgs are the first choice for all the greatest and more solid productions and artists too, from ESP to Ibanez without naming all the players.
My problem is there here, even in a big City like Roma, I don't have the chance to try this stuff out.
It's a hard life for us, here in Italy, tone talking.
I have to order an 8strings without ever have even put my fingers on a neck like those.
Anyway, we're all still fightin' :mk:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts