Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So many awesome techniques, so many styles fused together, all performed flawlessly. This video is further proof that as good as we all think we are, we are not Petrucci. Still one of my favorite solos, 19 years later.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Man, hearing that out of the context of the song does it no justice. What really makes that solo cool is how all those changes that seem disjointed by themselves, perfectly track the insane rhythm part underneath it.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
0:19 is almost identical to the lick near the end of Ty Tabor's second solo on "Over My Head" at 2:26.

I always loved that lick, it's just so emotive sounding. I didn't notice it was in both songs until just now.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
This, and the solo's for "Lines In The Sand" are my two absolute fav JP solos. It's a shame his solos rarely sound like this anymore.

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
I agree, JP's days back when he was playing for Ibanez was much better. This solo still rules and I agree with Dave it's out of context without the music.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree, JP's days back when he was playing for Ibanez was much better. This solo still rules and I agree with Dave it's out of context without the music.
Yeah his soloing was iconic on the early records. That's something he definitely lost over time. He's still putting out incredible stuff, but nothing beats their first 4-5 albums for his memorable and inspired lead guitar work, definitely.

One thing I do love is when modern Dream Theater plays old school DT:

·
Lord Super Awesome
5,701 Posts
So many awesome techniques, so many styles fused together, all performed flawlessly. This video is further proof that as good as we all think we are, we are not Petrucci. Still one of my favorite solos, 19 years later.

YouTube - John Petrucci Under a Glass Moon Solo
Agreed on all levels. I learned that YEARS ago & it was a blast to play. Makes me wanna go figure out that solo again.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Also, Kevin Moore DT > *.
I actually really liked Falling Into Infinity, but I think for the same reasons I loved Moore-era DT; Kevin Moore was more of a songwriter than a prog guy and I think he helped keep some of their more self-indulgent tendencies in check. FII, the producers were doing that for them, and in both cases you were getting great prog performances but within very musical arrangements. These days, theyre more likely to just pull out all the stops and be done with it, and I think the writing suffers for it.

Then again, they say Portnoy was a big part of that - I'll be REALLY curious to hear the next DT album.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I actually really liked Falling Into Infinity, but I think for the same reasons I loved Moore-era DT; Kevin Moore was more of a songwriter than a prog guy and I think he helped keep some of their more self-indulgent tendencies in check. FII, the producers were doing that for them, and in both cases you were getting great prog performances but within very musical arrangements. These days, theyre more likely to just pull out all the stops and be done with it, and I think the writing suffers for it.
We've had this conversation so many times. I totally agree. Again. :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
*Oft-repeated post bemoaning the soulless, boring nature of recent DT albums and the utter lack of coherent songwriting skills exhibited.*

*Further opinion that perhaps the departure of Portnoy is for the best, tempered by an assertion that he was only a part of the problem.*

*Ending with a hopeful but not optimistic statement.*

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Right. Having said all that though, I really loved Octavarium and their last album. I thought those albums were more song oriented and very inspired, Portnoy vocals and the AA songs notwithstanding (i.e. enough of that).

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
Yeah, I loved BC:SL a lot. I mean, probably my fav of theirs since Mp2:SFAM. As much as I loved that one though, I hated Systematic Chaos. I consider it one of my least fav albums ever.

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
This has been one of my favorite guitar solos since I heard DT years ago. The part leading into the solo really helps bring it over the top too.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts