Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hardly news, I know, but aahhhhhhh sooo much better.

Same gauges from newtone and daddario. In theory. 12 16 20p 32 44 56. Drop A#.

Was on newtone thick cored. Got em custom made. I liked the thicker core keeping low end more stable and higher tension (in theory).

I began to suspect that the high end overtones clarity and harmonic stability was being compromised by the thicker core/stiff string. Low end you can control with technique, overtone propagation not so much. So I thought I'd try them out again (I used daddario for years before newtone).

Findings.

1: Break out the mircometer screw gauge. Newtone 56 = 1.32mm, so actually its closer to a 52. All the '56' gauges I just took off my 3 main guitars were the same. They had very accurately made the wrong gauge.

The things you take on faith, eh?

Didnt measure all the strings, dont care that much. I saw what I needed to see in that and the following:

The daddarios are ~1.43mm. Advertised 1.42, so its a 0.0562 gauge. Not quite, but much better!

While I'm here, SI units = win, Imperial = should have been left in victorian times.

2: The core thickness: NT = 0.54mm. DD = 0.46mm. The core is indeed thicker. Not by that much though.

On the guitar, tension feels more or less equal. Daddarios have a bite and attack that I didnt realise I'd missed loads, though it was a little harsher, where the newtones high end sounds weirdly conjested by comparison. Low end rings out better on the daddarios, though theres a little more of it and its a little tubbier, its nothing that cant be controlled with decent technique, whereas the difference in attack, highs and mids could not be made up with playing. Winner: diaddarios, by a clear margin.

TLDR:

Moral of the story: some everyday things arent to be fucked with, and some extra-special stuff is not what it appears. Daddario are great.

Not having to wait 2 months + for your strings to be made = win.

If youre in the UK, stringbusters rule. Quick, courteous, efficient, sent out replacements that royal mail lost without a hint of a quibble or bat of an eyelid, and packed up my singles into sets for me.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I found the same thing with the overtones when i went to 11-70 gauge strings. It was just too much mass for standard tuning, and things really sounded dull, so i went back to 10-56 (preferably Elixir, but the consistency and availability of D'Addarios can't be beat). The GHS .070 gauge also has two layers of windings on the string, and they just sound bleh.

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was what made me go for the thicker cores. I was up to a 64 in a# trying to get the tension, thinking tension = tightness.

Thickness also = mass and mass = tubbiness, past a point. I think that point is somewhere in the 50s.

So I went to the thick cored to get the tension without the mass. They were slacker, but the difference wasnt severe compared to the 64, but I guess maybe NT were making the actual damned gauge you asked for then.

Then I got to thinking about what this thick core is doing to high end. The rest is above.

·
Registered
702 Posts
You gotta try Circle K Strings, man. You need to get thicker ones, since their tension-to-gauge ratio is lower, but they sound AMAZING.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
After using GHS Boomers for a few years, I've bought a bunch of D'Addarios. I'm liking them on the Xiphos, not tried them on anything else yet. I think I am finding what the fuss is about with these strings. I like a lot.

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After using GHS Boomers for a few years, I've bought a bunch of D'Addarios. I'm liking them on the Xiphos, not tried them on anything else yet. I think I am finding what the fuss is about with these strings. I like a lot.
You do right. They're probably the most commonly used string in metal land, and I'm being soundly (pun intended) reminded why.

Also, need new hands :(

Any links to some good upgrades?

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I am temporarily switched over to all Dunlop Heavy Core, from all D'Addario. After I rip through half a dozen sets on a couple of guitars I'll switch back over and see what happens. They seem to be balanced and bright enough with great tension and string feel.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
For rhythms: I like the feel of heavier strings since I pick fairly hard, and I the sound of thinner strings for the quicker attack they have.

For leads: I like the feel of thinner slinkier strings, and I like the fuller, rounder, sound of thick strings.

I am lucky that I have enough guitars that I can dedicate some to rhythms and some to leads. :shrug:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
I've been a D'Addario user and believer for the last 3 years, when I switched from Ernie Ball. I've only broken one string since then that I can remember. I used to break EBs all the time.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I too have just switched back to D'addario after jumping and swapping between DR, Elixir, Kerly Kue etc and too couldn't be happier.

I just wish these 10 packs were more readily available locally as I change strings quite a lot but not enough to warrant the massive non sealed shop type things.

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━&#
1,986 Posts
^

Try amazon, that's where I buy 10 packs of my beloved D'Addario EXL115's.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts