Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the usual go-to for stuff like this?

I have a big ol' M-Audio MIDI keyboard, and I'd like to toss on some keyboard bits. I need two sounds - one being plain old Piano, and the other being that soft, synthy type that like every Dream Theater song has.

I was using this free Piano VSTi and it's not too bad:

http://www.metalguitarist.org/forum...6332-4front-piano-module-free-piano-vsti.html

But I'd like to find something that has both piano and synth, and I don't mind paying for it. Looking in $100-150 range. (I know Steinway has some awesome ones, but I don't play piano or use this type of thing enough to drop huge coin on one).

·
410 Posts
Check out some of the Native Instruments stuff. Absynth is pretty nice and I use it in a lot of stuff. Though I really don't know how much they cost piece meal. I don't recall any one thing being too expensive.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
Honestly, I like the acoustic piano samples that garage band comes loaded with. I heard a nashvill rumor that herbie hancock himself prefers the stock garage band piano samples

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Wirelessly posted (iDevice of Awesomeness: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

MusicTheoryJoey said:
Honestly, I like the acoustic piano samples that garage band comes loaded with. I heard a nashvill rumor that herbie hancock himself prefers the stock garage band piano samples
That's what I use. I bought Sampletank, but prefer GB's. I don't know if you can use those outside of GB though.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, look at this. :lol:

I look on GC's website, and there it is for $99.

I click it, and it's magically doubled! :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
I looked at that - it seems like more weird noise than an actual synth sound though.
Absynth comes with a large collection of sounds, so there's a good a good chance you'll find the sound that you're looking for. Also, if you don't have the time or patience for digging into it and learning how to make your own sounds, there's a neat feature that lets you automatically mutate existing sounds into new ones.

I don't think it does the piano thing, though. Or, if there's a piano sound in the library, I wouldn't expect it to sound very well. But for all your synth and noise needs, it is pretty awesome.

·
Pizza party!
3,284 Posts
And Reason looks to be complete overkill. I don't want a bunch of beats and samples, just a piano/synth VST.
I can't profess to being vastly informed on recent development in that area, but I know that in years past, you couldn't really get good piano sounds in the same package as solid synth sounds.

At McGill's studios, we use Pianoteq for most of our piano stuff: Pianoteq - Pianoteq 3 - The virtual piano

It's physical modeling based, but sounds amazing. They have a cheaper version in the "Pianoteq Play".

Synth... That's just a giant can of worms, right there. Almost too many options to discuss it properly. Can you say any more about what sort of sounds you're going for? Generally speaking, Absynth is a good bet. It's incredibly powerful, and some of the sounds you can build with it are very dynamic. It does pads really, really, REALLY well. Of course, it has the potential to get very complex, so be prepared for a learning curve if you want to get really into it.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Synth is probably the wrong term, since it implies that I'm looking to make weird noises. :lol:

How about Dream Theater Keyboard That Isn't Piano Tone?

·
is totally evil.
88 Posts
Personally if you give it that description, then I'd... have to go with everyone else and say Absynth, or FM8(I'm particularly partial to FM8, myself). Jordan Rudess actually uses both of those, as far as I can recall, among a boatload of other things. Maybe the B4 as well?

Also, you might want to check out LinPlug's Blue. I use the living hell out of that, myself.

·
I think too much
1,881 Posts
I bought the Korg legacy VST, which includes all the expansion cards and OEM sounds from the M1 and 01-Workstation. Way more sounds than I'll ever need. It was $150 when I bought it.

Here's a Google Shopping result for it.
http://www.google.com/products/cata...=X&ei=6IyVTd33HpDZiAKiv-icCQ&ved=0CE4Q8wIwAA#

Not sure if any of them are still in stock or not. Works great with Reaper and I have an 88-key M-Audio controller that works with it.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
:bump:

TL;DR
Is there anything that's free, that pretty much does JUST piano? I don't need all the fancy stuff, just a nice piano sim.

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
I'm using the 4front piano which Chris also mentioned in the first post. Free and not too bad.

If there is anything better available free, consider me interested. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts