Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was listening to some Sunn amps last night and I really fell in love with that tone. I want to find something within my budget (little of nothing :lol:) that may not replicate that tone, but gives something like that. I did notice Weber has a Sunn amp kit for $550, but I would be scared to even try to build it myself. I thought about buying another Epiphone Valve Junior, but I want something LOUD. Not saying the Epi isn't loud, but it can't compete with my Mesa's loudness. I've found a bunch of amps that seem pretty cool, but kinda curious if there is anything i've overlooked....
I've checked out Sunn, Orange(Tiny Terror), Epiphone, Blackheart, and Bedrock. Is there any other budget company that can get this type of sound? I guess I am looking for an old school sabbath type tone, so the older the amp, the better. Though, I am not actually playing doom, and am playing a genre that really hasn't been invented yet, but its pretty sludgy (see Down or Grand Magus), and I think something like this would be killer for some rhythm tracks.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Can't you get a used Sunn for around that price?
Not quite, I seen some used Sunn's going for right at $800, they were the model(s) I like best (Sonaro and Sceptre) but a bit out of my range. The Bedrock and Tiny Terror I can get for around $400, and the Epi/Blackheart for about $100. I could also get a Peavey Windsor for right at $250, which is a JCM sound...good for doom, but not quite what im looking for.

·
DOO)))M
7,435 Posts
Tiny Terror's do doom fairly well and I discovered that right before I got rid of mine and wasn't playing doom/stoner stuff yet. Most amps can do doom as long as you EQ it properly and run a fair amount of gain - at least it seems that way to me. Sound City Amps are being used by Electric Wizard as of not too long ago (think they started on Witchcult Today), and I'm sure Marshall JCM's have been used for Doom in the past, my Mark III can does it too.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tiny Terror's do doom fairly well and I discovered that right before I got rid of mine and wasn't playing doom/stoner stuff yet. Most amps can do doom as long as you EQ it properly and run a fair amount of gain - at least it seems that way to me. Sound City Amps are being used by Electric Wizard as of not too long ago (think they started on Witchcult Today), and I'm sure Marshall JCM's have been used for Doom in the past, my Mark III can does it too.
I may just go with the Windsor..... the more I think about it, the more I think I can EQ that beefy sound i'm looking for. I basically want to run my Mesa on one side and a Doomy, dark tone on the other side (live), and use both for recording too.

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
5150, crank up the resonance and you're in beautiful doom territory. Really the only requirement for a good amp for doom is being able to crank the gain and have a lot of low end.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
My Sovtek Mig 100H and a DS-1 will get you there in as much time as it takes to plug them in.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Can't go wrong with 4 6L6's running 120w alongside 50lbs of Russian military parts, and your favorite distortion pedal.

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
The Sovtek MIGs are great amps imho - there are 2 (acutally 3) versions of the Mig 50, one with Master Vol. and one without - the one without is straight Fender Bassman, the one with Master is pretty much Marshall Plexi. Ther eis also a Mig 60 which is, afaik the same as the Mig 50, but with EL34 loaded..

You knwo....you could always get on of those, or just an amp with a good clean channel without much break up, and get an amazing Fuzz pedal for it...

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
You knwo....you could always get on of those, or just an amp with a good clean channel without much break up, and get an amazing Fuzz pedal for it...
That's what the MIG is, one big loud-as-fuck clean channel with just a touch of crunch when you crank it.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The windsor head is far from a JCM clone. It can get far darker than that if you dial in the resonance and presence controls.
I've had hands on experience with a Windsor, GREAT amp for the money. They go for $150 - $250 used, which is a steal for what it is. They can get really dark, and I bet with a nice tube swap I could get one sounding pretty raunchy. :yesway: That is probably what i'm going to go for, because its cheap, and I know its a good amp. My previous band's rhythm guitarist had one (thanks to me recommending it) and I had to help him EQ it.

The Windsor cabs are also very underrated. He got the Windsor Head/4x12 Cab and both sounded great. I liked the Windsor cab better than my damn 5150 Cab! :lol: (Also something I want to get in the near future).

I'm pretty sure that is exactly what i'm going to get, is the Windsor. Cheap, Reliable, and it gets the job done Very well. Too bad I can't find anything that sounds more like a SUNN for that price range though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
$700 for a 2000s!? that's an amazing price considering they've been going up to $1200 recently. Did anyone suggest a Laney AOR yet? One of my buds has one, they're awesome and won't put a hole in your pocket either.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.