Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
\m/ Tits & Beer \m/
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas,

I've been using the line 6 UX3 for a few months, (after breaking my 1/8" jack on my Mac surprise, surprise lol) and have been having some issues with it. Sometimes during takes the unit will cause an unbelievably loud static that literally makes me want to chuck ninja stars to the necks of baby seals. Additionally, the unit now has a serious latency problems. I tried to trouble shoot them but no luck, figured an upgrade is in order either way.

I'm thinking of buying a new unit but have no idea what I should go for. I do all of my recording in GarageBand. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Drop garageband. :lol: I swear by Reaper, personally it's not quite as idiot-proof, but with greater flexibility comes greater power.

Um, you're asking about a recording interface, right? What's your budget? Do you have a Firewire port, or do you need a USB interface? I'd imagine if you're on a Mac you have a Firewire - I understand they're pretty standard...

·
\m/ Tits & Beer \m/
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Drop garageband. :lol: I swear by Reaper, personally it's not quite as idiot-proof, but with greater flexibility comes greater power.

Um, you're asking about a recording interface, right? What's your budget? Do you have a Firewire port, or do you need a USB interface? I'd imagine if you're on a Mac you have a Firewire - I understand they're pretty standard...
My budget's from $250-350 or so. I was looking into the PreSonus Firepod, but no idea how it really works lol. I do have a Firewire Port & I'd need at least 2 inputs.

I dont get crazy with recording at home. I've got my presets where I want them in GB and am pretty happy with them. I like to focus on the songwriting more so than the DAW. Considering I think I've got my tunes sounding pretty decent!

4,429 Posts
presonus fp 10 or firewire studio project. FP10 is cheaper and I believe in your price range. The studio project is the better sounding product but I believe is closer to 500.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts

Why does he need to drop GB if he's happy with it? Honestly, Reaper's great on PC, but I still think it kinda sucks on OSX in terms of UI and stability. I prefer GB because it is easy, still offers all the capabilities I need it to, and is free. If he needs more features than GB, I'd recommend Logic Express 9 for $199.

As for interfaces, MOTU for Mac is what I would do, though I'm also quite interested in Mackie's new devices:

Onyx Blackbird FireWire audio interface from audioMIDI.com

Onyx Blackjack USB Audio interface from audioMIDI.com

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
also i'm not sure if it still does but Presonus used to include protools le with it's interfaces. A definite step up from Rockband.
They used to include a light version of Cubase. M-Audio devices can be used with PTLE, but it's not free.

Why is everyone trying to talk him out of GarageBand (not Rockband; that's a game) when he's already stated he's happy with it?

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
4,429 Posts
regardless the presonus stuff is very reliable. My firestudio project has taken quite a few falls and works great. The Mic preamps are pretty good quality and I've yet to have an issue with latency regardless numbers of sends returns or number of inputs i'm using as long as you are using a computer that has a 7200 rpm drive.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Mainly because it's rather limiting in abilities.
I want you to trade your car in. It's too limiting. You need a Porsche 911 Turbo S, because it has more features, is faster, and is all wheel drive.

Nevermind that you don't need all that, and just need to get from point A to point B.

Bottom line is if he's happy with GB, he's happy with GB (as I am). Simple as that.

I actually had Reaper, GB, and Logic 9 all on my computer at the same time. I deleted Reaper, and sold Logic. I just didn't need it. For me, it was overkill.

regardless the presonus stuff is very reliable. My firestudio project has taken quite a few falls and works great. The Mic preamps are pretty good quality and I've yet to have an issue with latency regardless numbers of sends returns or number of inputs i'm using as long as you are using a computer that has a 7200 rpm drive.
Latency has got nothing to do with the speed of the hard drive.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
I want you to trade your car in. It's too limiting. You need a Porsche 911 Turbo S, because it has more features, is faster, and is all wheel drive.

Nevermind that you don't
A better analogy would be asking him to trade in his train commuter pass for a car - makes no sense if all you care about is getting from point A to point B and points A and B are both locations on the same line, but makes a LOT of sense if you want to have any control at all over choosing the destination you arrive at.

Garageband is great if you're just looking to write songs on a computer. It's (based on my admittedly fairly limited experience) extremely limiting if you actually want to record and mix, or learn more about the process.

I mean, it was a pretty flippant, tongue-firmly-in-cheek comment, but all the same unless he's just looking to record as part of the songwriting process, GB wouldn't be my first recommendation.

If you're just looking for two tracks at a time, Angel, both M-Audio and Presonus make quite good entry-level Firewire interfaces that will give you totally acceptable sound quality for a very reasonable price.

·
\m/ Tits & Beer \m/
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks a lot for your help everyone... I sincerely appreciate it!

I'm thinking about going the Presonus Firepod or the Studio Project route... figured I could score an inexpensive one on eBay.

Mainly because it's rather limiting in abilities.
I personally think that the person doing the recording is what causes most of the limitations- not the DAW. I learned a lot about recording just by using Garageband. So long as you've got an awesome set of production ears and have an idea as to how to go about your overall sound... you're golden. I've heard people do great things with Cubase, Logic, ProTools etc. On the flip, I've also heard projects using those DAWs that sound like pure assdog when compared to my mixes.

presonus fp 10 or firewire studio project. FP10 is cheaper and I believe in your price range. The studio project is the better sounding product but I believe is closer to 500.
What makes the Studio Project a superior sounding product when compared to the Fireport?

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
I personally think that the person doing the recording is what causes most of the limitations- not the DAW.
99% of the time, I'd agree with that statement.

The difference with Garageband, though, is it really doesn't offer much in the way of FX customization. If you want to run a bit of light compression on your bass guitar, for instance, it's much harder to do that in Garageband than it is in any other program - you have to load a "bass guitar" preset, then go to the edit FX section and manually shut off any other effects that might be on - at least EQ, possibly a few others. And even then, your FX parameters are pretty limited, and while I'm not sure, I suspect it's not easy, possibly not possible to use 3rd party FX.

Furthermore, the bussing or FX send options seem to be essentially zero. Garageband struck me as SUPER user-friendly, but at the price of not being terribly flexible at all.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts

The difference with Garageband, though, is it really doesn't offer much in the way of FX customization. If you want to run a bit of light compression on your bass guitar, for instance, it's much harder to do that in Garageband than it is in any other program - you have to load a "bass guitar" preset, then go to the edit FX section and manually shut off any other effects that might be on - at least EQ, possibly a few others. And even then, your FX parameters are pretty limited, and while I'm not sure, I suspect it's not easy, possibly not possible to use 3rd party FX.

Furthermore, the bussing or FX send options seem to be essentially zero. Garageband struck me as SUPER user-friendly, but at the price of not being terribly flexible at all.
You don't have to do any presets, just a bare track and add effects as needed, and third party effects and instruments work just fine. You're correct about the bussing though.

·
\m/ Tits & Beer \m/
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You don't have to do any presets, just a bare track and add effects as needed, and third party effects and instruments work just fine. You're correct about the bussing though.
That's pretty much what I do- Start a New Basic Track, throw whatever preset I want, turn on my monitor and I'm good to go. As far as the bussing stuff goes... you guys completely lost me there. :confused:

·
Banned
7,428 Posts

No harm in trying reaper either, they give you the full version for free off their website as a trial. Except the trial has full functionality and no time limit. If you like it, pay them, if you don't, don't. :yesway:

·
RG 7 player of doom
690 Posts

And too add to that, once you get your head around a particular DAW, it becomes easy to use anyway, regardless of how daunting it seems at first
I can't imagine going to that trouble just to be able to run compression,
compression is pretty much one of the most important and powerful tools for mixing.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts