Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard only the Youtube videos from KR7 but does anyone have properly recorded guitar tracks with this amp?

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Not a lot of Rivera guys on here, and the only ones I can think of just use the K-Tre. I found this vid:

But not an Ola vid, which is what you'd really want to hear.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I think I'm the only dude on here who fucking loves Riveras and currently owns one. I did own two, but I sold my K-tre.

I have the KR100. The KR7 is just a KR100 with a couple very slight changes and the "signature model" upcharge.

I'm not a Slipknot fan, but there's no denying these tones are sick.

All that being said dude, tell us what kind of tone you are going for, Riveras have a very distinctive sound. Lots of grind and hair. They have to be turned way loud to sound good too. And they are designed to be used with K100s and GT75s more than v30s. Unless you really want that specific tone you would be happier with something more commonplace.

Ola did a demo of a KR100 I think, sounded great, search for it on youtube.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well... I have used loads of different amps and at the moment I am going to lower tunings, in fact changing to seven stringers. I like the tone on these KR7 clips, which seems to have lot of bunch, clarity and character. For fast riffing it sounds pretty good to me. I liked Mesa Royal Atlantic RA100 a lot too and I think there is some similarity in these amps. 5150 III I had earlier had some kind of high end "hiss" that bothered me. Elmwood Modena 90 I own at the moment lacks aggressiveness in lower tunings. There is one RK7 for sale for decent price in Finland and I am pretty tempted to try it. But I guess I need to sell my Elmwood first... which I am not sure if I want to do. :/

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Do you run an OD into the front end of your amp? That often fixes up the responsiveness and gain issues on many heads that lack it for lower tunings.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That´s the problem with many amps that they start to sound mushy when tuning goes lower than D. I want an amp which can separate the notes even if there is lot of gain. Maybe I should really go for KR7 and give it a shot... and buy a decent attenuator of course. I heard Riveras need to be played loud to get the sound right.

4,429 Posts
That´s the problem with many amps that they start to sound mushy when tuning goes lower than D. I want an amp which can separate the notes even if there is lot of gain. Maybe I should really go for KR7 and give it a shot... and buy a decent attenuator of course. I heard Riveras need to be played loud to get the sound right.
Turn down the gain, pick harder, problem solved!

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Also, what gauge strings are you using in what tuning and what scale length? Thinner strings tend to be less muddy. There's a kind of middle ground of where strings sound muddy in my experience. I've heard a 56 upto a 68 on a guitar in the same tuning in A, and upto 59 sounded great, and the 68 sounded great, everything in the middle was just mud compared to it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I have played more than 20 years and tried a lot of things along the way. For B-tuning I usually use 10-46 set with low 54 or 56 on 25,5" scale. Pickups I use are various too. From EVH to Kloppmann 59 to Duncan Invader. Mostly passives though. I found surprisingly nice sound from Crate Blue Voodoo 120W head a few years ago when I played in dropped-C band. Especially with Krankenstein 4x12" cab it sounded huge, punchy but still sweet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, not so much muddiness with 5150 III but I couldn´t get rid of the high end hiss. Maybe should have tried different tubes but I already traded the amp for Roadster. Which I sold too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts