Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
HOLY DIVE-AH!
1,727 Posts
I have a chromebook, and honestly, it does everything I need it to do for leisure purposes. I haven't booted my desktop since I bought it back in December. There's apps for ftp/ssh, finance tools, photo editing, games, etc etc.

While yes, it is limited, it's a LOT more capable then 'just a browser' as it gets the wrap of being.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I have a chromebook, and honestly, it does everything I need it to do for leisure purposes. I haven't booted my desktop since I bought it back in December. There's apps for ftp/ssh, finance tools, photo editing, games, etc etc.

While yes, it is limited, it's a LOT more capable then 'just a browser' as it gets the wrap of being.
At least they're priced correctly, I've give them that. But for me, it wouldn't work at all. I wouldn't want to do HD video editing on it, I couldn't do DAW stuff on it, there's no DVR software for it that would work with my devices, etc.

I still think it's better to just buy a cheap Windows laptop, and install Chrome on it. It does the same thing, and more.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
I couldn't do DAW stuff on it
Bingo.

I'm a big Android fan myself, but what I feel is a tragic limitation of Android/Google OSessesses is the latency for audio recording which has kept guys like me from fully buying in.

The only thing keeping a laptop in my house is audio recording.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I'm running Windows 8 on a Bay Trail Atom processor on my Dell tablet and it's fast as hell and stable. How does that suck? This thing only has 2gb memory and I can play Civ 5 on it. I paid $200 for this thing!
Which one did you end up with? Those 8" models look really cool, especially for the dough. The only thing that seems disappointing is apparently people haven't been able to get Ubuntu on there. I'd want to be able to switch back and forth.

EDIT

This one?

I honestly can't imagine why you'd want a Chromebook for $250, when for a hundred more you can get a full computer. Provided Dell didn't booger it up with trial ware, that's a pretty solid device.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Which one did you end up with? Those 8" models look really cool, especially for the dough. The only thing that seems disappointing is apparently people haven't been able to get Ubuntu on there. I'd want to be able to switch back and forth.

EDIT

This one?

I honestly can't imagine why you'd want a Chromebook for $250, when for a hundred more you can get a full computer. Provided Dell didn't booger it up with trial ware, that's a pretty solid device.
Yeah that one. I got it on the 12 days of Christmas sale MS did. There's no trialware, it's just a great tablet. Easily the best tablet at that price.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chrome 32 in Metro is definitely a step up over IE Metro. I really wish there was text prediction though, it makes typing a lot more difficult on my tablet...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.