Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

So, she went from captain's staff on a cruise liner to captain of the Titanic? Good choice!

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Hey, she's earned herself a great golden parachute!

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
She'll be responsible for Google buying Yahoo for pennies on the dollar. Just watch.
Doubt it. As a former Google exec that would set off red flags anyway, but considering Google's already massive market share I don't see that getting regulatory approval.

It's certainly a bold, high risk/reward career move, but it's not totally crazy - as others have pointed out, it's not like she's exactly hard up for money, and she's taking the reigns of what's still the second most prominent brand name in the internet search engine business. Not many other firms have a snowball's change in hell of challenging Google, and while Yahoo's isn't much better, a visionary leader at their helm could give Google a legitimate competition for market dominance. Too early to tell if she has it in her.

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Doubt it. As a former Google exec that would set off red flags anyway, but considering Google's already massive market share I don't see that getting regulatory approval.

It's certainly a bold, high risk/reward career move, but it's not totally crazy - as others have pointed out, it's not like she's exactly hard up for money, and she's taking the reigns of what's still the second most prominent brand name in the internet search engine business. Not many other firms have a snowball's change in hell of challenging Google, and while Yahoo's isn't much better, a visionary leader at their helm could give Google a legitimate competition for market dominance. Too early to tell if she has it in her.
Brand name does not equal market share. Actually Bing is used more than Yahoo for search now. Were Google to acquire them it really wouldn't increase Google's numbers all that much (For search).

Since the dot com bubble burst, internet companies can (and do) lose value very quickly now. Digg was valued at 200 million a couple of years ago and just sold for 500k the other day. (Yahoo tried to buy them but couldn't raise the money....)

Can she turn Yahoo around? I kind of doubt it - What she will do is eliminate some of the services Yahoo offers that are costly to operate / don't generate revenue.

Yahoo has had 6 CEOs in the last couple of years... I really don't know if she will be able to change anything.

Yahoo!
there is a lot of fat to be trimmed at yahoo....

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Brand name does not equal market share.
IT doesn't, but if you're trying to take back market share, it's way easier to do it with a name everyone already knows than one no one's heard of.

And they got passed by Bing? Jesus. :lol:

·
Read Only
1 Posts
IT doesn't, but if you're trying to take back market share, it's way easier to do it with a name everyone already knows than one no one's heard of.

And they got passed by Bing? Jesus. :lol:
:lol: just barely but on almost all of my sites Bing does bring more traffic.

Combined Bing and Yahoo only account for about 5% of the traffic to my websites

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
It's just because Bing is the default search engine for IE, and people are too lazy to change it, or they are at work and aren't allowed to. Or they're just clueless idiots.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.