1,800 Posts
JBA5150

or a Mark IV

·
Is Actually Recording
32,764 Posts
JBA5150

or a Mark IV
Honestly, wouldn't mind grabbing a IV head, if nothing else just to see how it compares to a V in IV mode. That was the first time I'd ever plugged into an amp and been absolutely floored by a lead sound.

·
Premium Member
21,675 Posts
Honestly, wouldn't mind grabbing a IV head, if nothing else just to see how it compares to a V in IV mode. That was the first time I'd ever plugged into an amp and been absolutely floored by a lead sound.
Oh man, the Mark IV is soooo much better. :lol:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,764 Posts
:lol:

Though, you wanna talk about a hard amp to dial in - it's been more than a decade, but you've got a great clean/Rhythm 1, a Rhythm 2 I never found any use for except maybe for bad Santana impressions, then a Lead channel that sounds fucking outrageous but has two cascading gain controls, PLUS a channel output control that as memory serves also seems to impact the way the amp saturates, all the usual oddities of Mesa EQ, then stuff like the pull bright and pentode/triode switch that I at least now have a better handle on from the V. And even then, I never managed to get a rhythm sound I was really all that happy with out of one, without doing the V thing, which I don't actually like all that much.

I wouldn't mind one, but it would really just be as a one-trick pony where I just played guitar solos through it, and would have to start using my Roadster again for pretty much everything else. :lol:

Also, it's silly, but I could never get into the 3/4 size "short head" format.

·
Administrator
Guitars.
39,755 Posts
Than the Nomad or the MKV? I played a IV and a V when I was shopping for my Combo and I liked the lead tone of the V on MKIV mode quite a bit better. Only about half an hour on each though at the time, which we all know is nowhere fucking near enough time to figure out any Mesa amp. :lol:

That's why I like 5150s. Just fuckin' put everything on 6 and let it rip.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,764 Posts
Than the Nomad or the MKV? I played a IV and a V when I was shopping for my Combo and I liked the lead tone of the V on MKIV mode quite a bit better. Only about half an hour on each though at the time, which we all know is nowhere fucking near enough time to figure out any Mesa amp. :lol:

Than the V. Honestly, I haven't played a IV in so long I couldn't really weigh in with confidence here, but the V's IV mode is at least in th same ballpark of what I remember, especially in Triode mode.

The V does pretty much everything else better than a IV though, considering i didn't like anything else the IV did aside from the clean, which is great but so are the V's clean modes.

·
Premium Member
21,675 Posts

I was joking. the IV sounds great but it's a pain in the ass to dial in right.

·
Arrr, Matey!
1,800 Posts
The IV is one of the few amps I wish I never sold, and they have been hard to track down used these days.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,764 Posts
Well this escalated quickly. :lol:

41 - 60 of 60 Posts