Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Obsessed by day glo Green
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over xmas I went and saw an old friend, and did some gear trading, and came home with an iso cab he'd built. Basically a hell of a lot like the Randall iso cab, except no mics, no speaker and it's roadcased, and made with proper birch ply inside.

It's also alread got one swan neck mic holder, and I have a spare fixed mic holder I haven't mounted yet, but thinking of getting a second movable (and still mounting the fixed one, which I think lines up with the edge of the cone when attached)

Been after an iso cab for ages, but they were always too expensive, and didn't expect to get this, so haven't done much (read: any) research into any of this. So:

I've never mic'd up a speaker before (shame on me), so I've got a few questions:

1) What speaker would you put in it?

2) Is it worth using two mics?

3) What mics would you use?

4) Where would you position them in relation the the cone?

5) How far away?

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
As far as mics go, SM57 is the obvious choice. Speaker to go in it and the position? Relative tastes. Whatever you think sounds best. Why not use what you have in your Mesa cab?

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
1: V30
2: Eventually, yes, to begin with, no
3: 57 to start, add an MD421 later
4 + 5: AAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Hope this helps.

I suppose I sould write something moderately helpfull :(, start with on axis, 1-2 inches back from where the grill would be (so I suppose 3-4 from the speaker) aimed at the join between the dust cap and cone. Learn the effect on tone at different levels (speaker behaviour changes with volume) of moving the mic out at a constant distance from centre to edge, out away from the speaker and rotating it off axis. Those are your basic degrees of freedom in mic location. You can imagine how complex it starts to get when you add another mic, and a phase differential as well :) (i.e. its nothing to be afraid of but learn the basics of micing with one mic).

·
Thread Killer
2,196 Posts
I have no direct experience, but I have read that 57's are not the way to go with iso cabs, the sound you get from the cab will be inherently 'boxy', so you should pick a mic which counteracts that to some degree. Unfortunately, I can't remember what was suggested or where i read it.

Speak to Dunkley, he had a Randall iso a while back when he was working from home.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts