Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
THUNDERBEEEEAR!
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some advice, I'm in need of a new recording rig and I'm considering getting an iMac.
Does anyone know of any rumours a new one is one the way? Should I wait?
I think my current pc system will have to do if a new iMac release is not too far off.

I'm a bit torn between a fireface UFX, MOTU 896mk3 and a UA apollo. Please help!

I've been reading reviews of the three interfaces the last days, but can't really decide since I have no experience with either of them. I guess pricing is a factor but not as important as reliability/driver issues.

Edit: Is getting an iMBP a viable solution instead of the iMac?

·
's all in the wrist
859 Posts
I was in about the same situation with you 8 years ago. I can't believe it's been that long :lol: I was torn between the Fireface 800 which was just released back then and the motu 828, either the mk1 or mk2, I can't remember.

I went for the fireface in the end and it's still running strong after all these years. Like I said before, I had ZERO issues with it. I went through 3-4 computers with different OS's and the damn thing worked perfectly on all of them. I cannot recommend it enough for its reliability, RME is renown for that. It's really solid, like a rock.

I don't have any experience with motu or the UA so I can't comment on them. What I can tell you is that motu supposedly works very well with macs, at least that was the deal back then :lol:

·
THUNDERBEEEEAR!
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah yes, the blinky lights of the Mk3 is veeeeery tempting. But the preamps in the RME is supposed to be better though.

Any rumours there will be an upgraded iMac in the near future?

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Ah yes, the blinky lights of the Mk3 is veeeeery tempting. But the preamps in the RME is supposed to be better though.

Any rumours there will be an upgraded iMac in the near future?
Yes. I'd wait until after the September announcement.

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
RME are the kings of reliability and stability, have damned fine conversion and very good pres.

There were some UFX - apollo shootouts on gearslutz a while ago. The difference was marginal, but fwiw I chose the UFX consistently (it was blind, irrc: the test; the interfaces dont have eyes).

No blinky lights, though.

·
THUNDERBEEEEAR!
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just did some more digging, both the RME ufx and the 896mk3 is fw400... that's just stupid.

I'm currently leaning towards the 896mk3 and an 8pre just for connectivity, can't beat 16 xlr/trs combo inputs for the price of the UFX's 4xlr+8balanced in my book, even if the preamps are supposed to be inferior.
I'm not doing full on cd releases anyway, just good quality demos.

+blinky lights:flex:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts