Metal Guitarist Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Congratulations to Darren, for winning Guitar of the Month for September 2010! It's not every day that one of our own members builds his own guitar from raw wood and parts, but that's exactly what Darren did.

Quick specs:

• Body: 1-piece curly walnut
  • Neck: 3-piece east Indian rosewood; scarf-jointed rosewood headstock (11° tilt)
  • Fretboard: east Indian rosewood, 27" scale; 24 medium-tall frets; 16" radius
  • Bridge: ABM Wilkinson-style fixed
  • Tuners: Sperzel Trim-Lok
  • Nut: Earvana Compensated Tuning System 48 mm shelf nut
  • Truss Rod: Stewart-MacDonald Hot Rod dual-expanding, wheel style, adjustment at heel
  • Neck Attachment: Connector bolts into threaded T-nuts under fretboard
  • Pickups: Nordstrand Custom
  • Electronics: Free-Way 6-way toggle; master volume; master tone; Neutrik locking output jack
  • Strap Locks: Schaller
  • Strings: Elixir, 10-56
  • Inlay: No face dots; side dots are Luminlay 3 mm luminescent dots
  • Finish: Hand-rubbed polymerized tung oil (body) and lemon oil (neck)

:darren:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I got to play this, but it didn't have any strings on it yet :(

:lol:

:metal:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I got to play this, but it didn't have any strings on it yet :(
This. I need to remedy that.

Congrats Darren!

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4B1 Safari/419.3)

Mouth watering..

·
Registered
446 Posts
Very beautiful guitar!

Love all the curves and love the curly walnut.

Well done and well deserved :yesway:

·
with a Shotgun
925 Posts
That's a sick guitar! Well, deserved. I didn't know he built it himself when I voted, that makes it even more awesome! Congratz!

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
That is absolutely amazing! Gorgeous woods, great decisions throughout as well. A beautiful, beautiful work of art.

·
18,790 Posts
Having just played this guitar today (er...yesterday), I can say it's absolutely one hell of an instrument. The 6-way switching was strange at first, but was already growing on me a bit in the short time I played it. The neck carve is absolutely one of a kind (so far ;) ) and really feels incredible. The gradual change in shape as you go up the neck feels surprisingly natural, and just made me want to spend more time on those higher frets. The Nordstrand pickups sounded really good, though the bridge pickup wasn't something I'd personally use, it does what it does quite well :lol: Now I want a guitar with a rosewood neck :(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.