Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I think too much
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, yeah, I'd like to get a handheld GPS unit. Will use it for street navigation sometimes, but more importantly, I want to use it to find the exact property lines on my property.

I know Jack about them, so suggestions would be appreciated. Preferrably, I would like one that would tell me how many degrees, minutes, seconds I've traveled from a particular point.

Of course, I also want it to be inexpensive as I won't be using it all that often.

:wub:

·
I MG.org salute you.
2,501 Posts
I think you'll be hard pressed to find a consumer unit that will give you your "exact" property lines. Most consumer grade GPS units, especially anything that could be deemed inexpensive, will likely only give you an accuracy of about 1 meter if you're lucky. I don't think that would be close enough to determine property lines.....unless you're an Oklahoma rancher. ;)

·
I think too much
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, extreme accuracy isn't really important. Hell, I'd settle for accuracy within 3 meters. My parcel is surrounded by public land on 3 sides for at least half a mile, so if I'm off 10 feet or so no one's going to bitch. :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
The Garmin Nuvi 350 series is getting to be dirt cheap on Amazon. I have one, and it's navigated me through Boston, up into Canada, and from Pasadena, California to Burlington, Vermont on different trips.

Very useful little thing, probably can be had for about $150-200.

·
I MG.org salute you.
2,501 Posts
Check out Tigerdirect then. You'll find plenty of units around $100. I think a lot of the units will get you down to 1-3 meters.

I have a Mio that I picked up about a year ago for $120 CDN and it's served me well. Not sure exactly how accurate it is because I've never checked but I've done some mapping and it seemed as good as anyone elses (and better than some).

·
I think too much
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use the GPS in my phone (MotoQ) with google maps app. Cost me $0 extra above an beyond my phone. It also comes with navigation software for driving directions.
I've seen those, and they're pretty cool. My friend has TomTom on his phone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts