Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
I started listening to King Diamond yesterday, really found I can get into them now more than I could in the past. I also had to give a female a ride to her car in Dallas, and cranked King Diamond the whole way, and when I dropped her off she said "I like the music, but not the vocals" :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
KD albums need to be listened to as a whole piece of work to really get what a great band they are, from both a songwriting and a lyrical perspective. Granted this song kicks ass, but in if you follow the storyline from Them to Conspiracy and see all the little nods to previous "chapters" (songs) that KD and Laroque do, it's really quite impressive, and artistically excellent.

Almost all of their albums are like that too, they all tell a story. Abigail and The Eye are my two favorite KD rock-operas, so to speak. Abigail because the story is great and the album has a lot of that raw, Mercyful vibe to it so all of the songs just straight up kick ass. The Eye because it's such a complete piece of material with a terrific story and some really badass metal going on.

Edit: Wikipedia even has plot summaries for their stuff:

Them said:
Plot summary

As the album opens, a young King and his mother and sister are welcoming King's grandmother home from a mental asylum. That night, King investigates strange voices and discovers his grandmother having a tea party alone, with the teacups and kettles floating in the air. King is promptly sent back to bed.
On another occasion, Grandma awakens King and tells him that she will teach him about Amon, their house, over a cup of tea. Grandma cuts King's sleeping mother's hand and adds her blood to the teapot. The voices of the house ("Them") begin to affect King with a drug-like effect. King's sister Missy tries to convince King that they should do something to help their mother, who is unconscious under "their" power, but his judgment is clouded due to his altered state. He refuses to call for help and cuts the phone line. At tea, Missy interrupts and furiously expresses concern about her mother's state and breaks the teapot. "They", in response to the breaking of "their" teapot, chop Missy into bits with an axe and throw the remains into the fireplace in the kitchen. King is snapped out of his "spell," and he stumbles outside and pieces together the events that transpired.

After fainting and regaining consciousness, he decides to attack his grandmother. He notices that "their" power is weakened outside of the house, so he lures his grandmother outside and kills her. The voices of Amon continue to haunt the boy as he is questioned by police and incarcerated in an asylum. Years later, he is released and returns home to find his grandmother and the voices of Amon are still very much alive.
And then part 2, Conspiracy:

In this sequel to "Them", an adult King returns to the House of Amon to reclaim his rightful place as heir to the house. However, unanswered questions about his sister's death, his mother's involvement with his diabolical therapist, and his own madness all prove to be difficult, if not insurmountable, obstacles.

He makes a deal with "Them", (the unseen antagonists from the album of the same name, part one of the story), to return control of the house to Them in exchange for the chance to see his now-dead sister Missy again. He believes she can help answer some of his questions. An agreement is reached, and Missy returns from the grave nightly to help King uncover some of the mysteries from "Them." As a spirit, however, she cannot save him from the plot against him, try as she may to warn him. His mother and his doctor have conspired to get rid of him permanently in order to inherit the house themselves. While they think they are ultimately successful, the album closes with King's promise to torture and haunt them forever from beyond the grave.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
While the Them/Conspiracy story is a very well done "horror epic" (if you will), the story/plot behind The Eye is true, and all of the characters in it are real people from a very dark time in history. Absolutely brilliant album, everything about it kicks ass.

The Eye (King Diamond album) - Wikipedia

Wikipedia said:
The Eye is a concept album by King Diamond released in 1990. It continues to feature a major storyline such as other King Diamond albums, though it is told differently.
[edit]Earlier concept albums

His past three concept albums have been told from the perspective of the protagonists; this one is told from the view of a narrator. The themes of Christian atrocity with the persecution of alleged witches and sexual abuse against nuns are present. The story is almost entirely historically accurate, including the names of the actual characters (except for the storyline about the "Eye necklace," which is fiction ). The story starts off with an unnamed character finding a necklace called The Eye that allows him/her to see the events the necklace was witness for in the past. They see an accused witch named Jeanne Dibasson being tortured and burned at the stake. Next they see two little girls finding the necklace in the ashes at a stake, and what they see when they look in the eye kills them.

Finally there is the story of Madeleine Bavent, a nun working in the Louviers convent, who finds the necklace and decides to put it on. After being raped by Father David, she uses the necklace to kill him by making him look into it. Shortly after, the new Chaplain, Father Picard, arrives and starts bringing everyone to communion. He winds up lacing their communion wine with some substance that lets him control their minds, and uses a group of nuns including Madeleine to ritually torture and kill children. In 1642 all are arrested and imprisoned.

The main parts of the stories told on this album are true, and took place during the French Inquisition, 1450-1670. All of the following characters are real and from that period of time:

- Nicholas de la Reymie: Head investigator of the Christian Burning Court (Chambre Ardente), in Paris, France.
- Jeanne Dibasson: Supposed witch.
- Madeleine Bavent: 18 year old French nun who entered the convent at Louviers in 1625, after having been seduced by a priest. Died in 1647 in prison.
- Father Pierre David: Chaplain of the convent at Louviers till his death in 1628.
- Father Mathurin Picard: Chaplain of the convent at Louviers from 1628 to his death in 1642.[ See also Louviers possessions.]

And the lyrics:

Sacrifice, holy rites, secrecy and altar wine
Black candles burning low, to the meetings again they go
Picard can't wait to take away another soul
Oh it's a shame, Picard was so insane

In the year of 1642, it came to an end
In 1642, imprisonment

Black death come this way, Father Picard will soon be going
He's ill, so sick, now his meetings are forever over
Oh it's a shame, they went along with his game

In the year of 1642, it came to an end
In 1642, imprisonment

The nuns can't take the blame
One after one they suffer a breakdown
Confession, confession, they confess to diabolic possession
Oh it's shame, even Madeleine has gone insane

In the year of 1642, Madeline was leaving hell
In 1642
She found freedom in her prison cell

·
Read Only
10 Posts

It's so sick the way he changes his voice around when he gets into character - where he sings the Father David part here, and then kicks back to his normal falsetto for the voice of the narrator.

lyrics said:
Madeleine is running away from herself
Afraid of the shame, she's crying out for help
To be clean again
No one cared and no one ever will
Her feelings were not shared, she wants to break the spell
and she's going
Into the convent, a smile on her face
Into the darkness to hide all her sins
Wondering what could go wrong in this place
Father David: Welcome Sister, I'm Your chaplain
Down on Your knees and pray if You please
in This convent I'm Your master
Kiss My cross now dearest Sister
In the Name of ...
Madeleine is running away from herself
As father David said: At communion You must be undressed
Why did she go
Into the convent, a smile on her face
Into the darkness to hide all her sins
Wondering what could go wrong in this place
Father David: Come along Sister Madeleine
Unfold Your wildest dreams, it's time to join and sing
Let the feast begin
That night she awoke to find The Eye
On the stone cold floor Why, She never ever would know why
But she put it on
Next day father David passed away
At communion time
Why, he never ever would know why
But he looked at The Eye
The eye of the necklace is laking it's toll
Inside the convent a soul will rejoice

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
Conspiracy & Them are two of the best metal albums ever to see the light of day & King Diamond is a genius. Other personal faves: The Eye, Abigail, Fatal Portrait..in that order.

Not to say I don't like his later stuff..Voodoo, The Spiders Lullabye, Abigail II, The graveyard, Give me your soul..Please....they're all excellent! The King can do no wrong :metal:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.