Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for No Screws Tuners to replace on a Charvel (from Black to Chrome) I came across this:

Does anyone tried them? Looks like a really neat idea to be honest and what also caught my attention was the "Plates" we get or can buy to make them as Universal as possible.

They cost about the same as Quality Tuners.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had them on a Jackson SLS MG (kinda regret parting with that one but oh well) & they were cool, just kind of took some getting used to regarding their whole concept; all of us here basically grew up with standard type machine heads (regular or locking etc.) but these things have a totally different feel.I had the locking ones too, they didn't come in mini size & this guitar was 3+3 headstock so they looked kind of bulky but whatever....honestly I turned the thing so fast I didn't have any lasting impression of them other than they felt kind of weird tuning up.....I think for some people there would be a slight learning curve as far as feel goes, others might take to it right away....
the luthier that installed them for me used the universal plate things & the only thing that kinda bummed out about those is they only come in chrome whereas my guitar was all black hardware....again, no biggie but something to think about.

I forgot to add, I guess I didn't articulate it well......fine tuning is what really threw me off.These things are super sensitive & it really takes some practice to get it right, with say a strobe tuner or some some other super accurate tuner, which of course I like to use:yesway:.... I found I was overshooting flat or sharp a lot & got a bit frustrated....but that doesn't mean I couldn't have gotten it down & maybe loved these things for what they are....I just sold that damn sweet guitar too quick & never had those tuners since....maybe I'll give 'em another try on another axe someday soon...

Edit: I just watched the top vid & apparently you can now get whatever color (gold, chrome,black) of the mounting plates so I say go for it to anyone out there....they only offered chrome ones back then ( 2 or 3 yrs ago ) but I think this is a solid product.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
The other reason to go with Hipshot is their customer service. They made me a set of UMP for my 7-string Les Paul, and shipped them to me, without asking for a cent in return. Took about two weeks from when I got the e-mail to when I got the tuners.

F96B33D6-9820-4EE2-A9D0-C0F3D6827A4D_zpsotp8aap0.JPG

8B8BFEE2-0C9F-48DE-BFB6-935A1D1EBDFA_zpswgy0kle8.JPG

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Hipshot customer service really is spectacular. I have a Contour trem in my ash strat that I really liked, but the tip was black on a guitar with creme pickups or knobs so I asked if they had wite or cream or, preferably, rounded tip metal bars, and they basiccally said, "Sure - what's your address?" I then got into an email conversation with their rep about the tonal differences between my Wilkinson and this which the rep believes is due to the block material, and offered to send me a brass block instead of the material they use standard (zinc..?), free of charge, but honestly I really liked how this trem sounds in this guitar so I didn't really want to change it. They're not all that far from Boston, northeastern New York, and they told me to drop by if I'm ever in the area.

That's about as above and beyond as you could ask for. :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts