Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Definitely an interesting read.

I find it fascinating how the advent of technology and the internet is rapidly and dramatically changing our legal, ethical, political, and economic systems. Piracy is just one example of the disconnect between our values and our existing economic structures/business practices created by advances in information tech.

EDIT: hoooly shit that sounds pretentious :lol:

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
I'm not even going to go into how retarded I think copyright stuff is :lol: but I'll say that you don't hear labels that have good music/bands on them suing people do you? lol. It's just the ones who force 1 hit wonders on us.

·
I like turtles!
722 Posts
I don't pirate games generally, but I will say the last two steam sales (one for post-thanksgiving and one on now for christmas) I've bought more games (6 or 7) than I have in the rest of the last year. GTA4 is 7 bucks on steam, prince of persia 5 bucks, mirrors edge 5 bucks. At prices like that there's no way I'm not buying these games. There are steam sale's figures around that other media need to take a very serious look at.

·
18,790 Posts
I download a lot of stuff.

Stuff that's worth it, I end up buying when I have the money.

Stuff that's not worth it, I never would have bought anyways, so they did not lose any money.

Stuff that I wouldn't have bought, but ended up liking, and then bought, they're making money they never would have had I not downloaded it first.

I don't have a lot of money. I'm pretty broke most of the time. I can't afford to spend money on something that turns out to be shitty. The record labels, software developers, and movie studios have dug their own grave by releasing inferior product at ridiculous prices. I will never again pay for something that's not worth my money. I have a way of preventing myself from buying CDs/movies/games/software that I don't like/doesn't work, therefore I'm using it.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Steam's delivery method is absolutely ace, and they're the only company I ever buy games through because of that. I don't want CDs, I don't want the box, and once I install the game I don't want to have to use the CD every time I play it and keep the damn thing around for years (or rebuy it if I lose the disc/scratch it, etc). If I want to play Half Life, which I bought years and years ago, I can fire up Steam and install it and I'm good to go. That, plus their package deals and specials - Valve nailed it, and I can't believe more companies don't do it.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Yeah, Steam is the shit.

I only buy games that make it worth doing so, online play where you need a valid key being the main one. I actually don't play THAT many games anymore, because there's so few that actually hold my interest for more than a few days.

·
Party Röcker
1,372 Posts
Wow, random gamers talking about copyright law! What's not to like? Oh, how I wish places like SevenString.org could have in-depth discussions on relativity involving primarily clueless twits and be similarly productive!

Erm, wait...

Jeff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.