Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have any of you guys heard Greg Howe's new band?
It's not bad. Of course he plays great (loving his phrasing and rhythm), singer reminds of me of Pink in a rock setting.

EDIT:
Oh...

This whole time I thought a DV Mark was a Mesa/Boogie Amp.

My bad guys... :lol:

MASSIVE!

I believe he may be touring either this year or next year with his new band as well...

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
If Mesa didn't go a sig head for Petrucci, anyone in the Metallica crew, or Santana, I don't think they'll do one for Greg Howe :lol:

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh...

This whole time I thought a DV Mark was a Mesa/Boogie Amp.

My bad guys... :lol:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

Oh look, a mediocre no name amp to go with his mediocre no name guitar. :lol:

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are DV Marks not a good amp company? Sounded good to me from the ones I have heard.

·
I measure things
1,917 Posts
I'm a huge Greg Howe fan but I have to be honest - I was let down when I heard he was doing a vocal project for this album. I was following the news about him up until I heard the sample snippets of his new songs. I'm sorry but I really didn't like it - didn't like the singer's voice. I don't care if she's hot - I don't listen to what somebody looks like. I wish Greg would get back to his instrumental stuff.

And his guitar - if you could cut off the headstock I'd be fine with it. I've always thought those Laguna guitars had a weird headstock. He used to play an ESP that was gorgeous, plus all of his Strats over the years. I know the guy has to go with the companies that pay his bills, but I can't get over that shark-looking headstock.

But I'm still a big fan of his.

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm a huge Greg Howe fan but I have to be honest - I was let down when I heard he was doing a vocal project for this album. I was following the news about him up until I heard the sample snippets of his new songs. I'm sorry but I really didn't like it - didn't like the singer's voice. I don't care if she's hot - I don't listen to what somebody looks like. I wish Greg would get back to his instrumental stuff.

And his guitar - if you could cut off the headstock I'd be fine with it. I've always thought those Laguna guitars had a weird headstock. He used to play an ESP that was gorgeous, plus all of his Strats over the years. I know the guy has to go with the companies that pay his bills, but I can't get over that shark-looking headstock.

But I'm still a big fan of his.
Yeah. I do not fully understand what Howe is trying to do or accomplish.

But from what I understand, he made so much money with Michael Jackson that he would never have to work again (but that was a much different time as well), then again I could be wrong. So I am not sure what Howe is trying to accomplish overall. I am digging some of his choice of rhythms and leads for his new band, but I would love to see him doing a solo tour or something of that sort.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)yesway:)

noodles said:
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

Oh look, a mediocre no name amp to go with his mediocre no name guitar. :lol:
Both GC house exclusive brands.

·
Oxygen to CO2 converter
1,957 Posts
His new album was a bit weird, but it has grown on me. I think the singer is OK, but she sounds the same on most of the tracks.

What I really dig, if I tune into it closely, is some of the rhythms. He does some pretty good rhythm stuff on the new album that I have been trying to cop since I started listening to it.

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
He's more than covered a lot of ground on the instrumental front. Fair enough if he wants to do something different, I reckon.

I've never thought much of his compositions. He's a very, very talented player, but his songs are pretty unmemorable. There's a lot of shit on Fives and Ascend. I also don't really care for a lot of his melody work. He's often very a-rhythmical in his lines, and couple that with his adventurous melody work and it sounds a bit unfocused to me.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I love good pop music, but these songs were generic utterly forgettable. And her voice isn't that great and she's NOT all that hot, really.

:shrug:

She sounds like she's trying to be Trixie Whitley, but she doesn't have the same soul.

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
What ever happened to that Nikka Costa chick???? She was a great funk/pop singer????:scratch:

·
Jigsaw?
3,913 Posts
I love good pop music, but these songs were generic utterly forgettable. And her voice isn't that great and she's NOT all that hot, really.:shrug:
I agree with all of this but the very last part. These songs do absolutely nothing for me and I tried to like them because of Greg.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts