Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a crosspost, I thought I'd post it here since more guys here seem to be interested. There's a little rant included.

GT5 now has a launch date - 2nd November 2010 and a number of new features have been announced about the title as well as some new previews.

Here comes the rant. Of course what we are all interested in how it compares to Forza III so I decided to go look for hands on reports and reviews from people who have demoed it at E3. What I found was the typical fanboi arguments from both sides, to be fair I was surprised to see that the Forza forum actually seemed interested and a little excited by the release but generally speaking the fanbois from both camps are out in force and none of them are informed enough about GT5 to make a fair comparison. It shits me that guys on both sides are fighting about which one is better based on a incomplete feature list with ridiculous claims of "groundbreaking" and "GT5 is a simulator, Forza is more like arcade driving in comparison" from the Sony crowd and claims that Forza 3 is still better (in every way is practically implied) than the unreleased GT5. :wallbash: A bunch of douchbags on both sides IMO.

Anyway my reaction is it looks pretty and they have some nice new features, I am really excited about the Top Gear track and what I have seen so far seems to imply that damage will be modeled accurately. I'm hoping accidents will have an accurate and devastating effect on handling which would result in the threat of an accident making for a much more realistic driving experience. There are a number of things to get excited about but I am a bit disappointed and worried that the release might miss the mark. To me realistic driving physics and in depth Forza style modifications are the two most important features. It looks like GT5 will have incredible driving physics and the detail and some new features will provide great immersion when driving but what I fear is that the ability to modify your vehicle will fall far short of Forza and unless there is a massive gap in the driving experience which I doubt I don't think I will want to play GT5 over Forza.

It's far too early to call, only playing both will decide it and we don't know all the features at this time but right now I fear that Polyphony has not learned the lesson that game play > pretty and that the ability to swap engines and modify a car like you could in real life is a major part of an accurate simulated driving experience. Here's hoping that a future announcement before November surprises us with new improved modifications.

·
I don't like it.
11,070 Posts
I was going to buy a PS3 for GT5 specifically, about 3 years ago... then I got a 360 instead, and I'm gonna hold off on a ps3 until I know gt5 is actually decent...

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I have no experience with GT5, but there's a reason they kept pushing it back. It's great to have competition between two franchises, but I'd really have a hard time imagining GT5 beat out the tire physics in Forza 3.

The Top Gear track is pretty much the only appealing thing I see in the GT5 spec list.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I will also admit bias against a game that releases a $50 demo. None of this "Prologue" shit.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; A6277 Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17 Sprint APA6277KT)

If there is one thing I have learned about the franchise, it is that it is always better than expected. After all it invented the concept of the driving simulator with modifiable cars. Not that it matters to me, since I am never buying an Xbox.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I am going to buy the shit out of this game.

Any word if they'll have night races? I love me some Forza, but that's the one thing it's missing.

·
Premium Member
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes night races with high and low beam but light is also modeled to simulate daylight so you could start a race in the day and race into the night with the negative impact of driving directly into the sun as it sets and so on, weather apparently is modeled in detail and will require the setup to suit the conditions and from what I'm reading I suspect that it goes well beyond wet or dry possibly to the point of accurately modeling temperature and humidity and it's effects (lots of speculation in that statement).

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
For PD's sake. I really hope this game is nearly flawless considering the amount of delays in releasing.

Re: the GT5 -vs- FM3 debate. I don't even see how that's anything other than a moot point now that Turn 10 already announced their development of FM4. But I suppose fanbois need to find something to argue about. :shrug:

Regardless. I'm not seeing all that much, feature wise, that hasn't appeared in PC racing sims in the past decade or so. But it's nice to see them all together in a console game.

It looks like GT5 will have incredible driving physics and the detail and some new features will provide great immersion when driving but what I fear is that the ability to modify your vehicle will fall far short of Forza and unless there is a massive gap in the driving experience which I doubt I don't think I will want to play GT5 over Forza.
Unfortunately I'm thinking that we should at least be grateful that damage is finally making it's way into the GT franchise. Considering how long it took for that to be implemented; I'm not holding my breath on any sort of drastic modding or livery editing to make an appearance anytime soon. Although I'd like to be pleasantly surprised when I get my copy at the beginning of November. It'd be nice to do a few MG.org liveries for this game also.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Useless fucking piece of shit: Opera/9.80 (S60; SymbOS; Opera Mobi/448; U; en-GB) Presto/2.4.18 Version/10.00)

Chris said:
I am going to buy the shit out of this game.

Any word if they'll have night races? I love me some Forza, but that's the one thing it's missing.
Does that mean you'll actually be online? :lol:

·
Read Only
1 Posts
I played the crap out of GT1 but never picked up any of the later games (I like PC gaming a lot more than consoles so I didn't even get another console after my PS1 til this year)

I will probably pick this up after the price drops...

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
I forgot allll about gran tourismo!

I used to play GT2 for hours in my room when i was in middle school and part of high school. I'd stay up until 2am just to place first on a track or win a car.

I want this game on principle now, but I don't own any systems :lol:

·
Habitual Line Stepper
490 Posts
It is pretty much the reason I bought a ps3 years ago...well...other than the Blu-ray drive. I pre-ordered the collectors edition as well.

What I want to know is what the hell is going to be included in the ultimate edition that is priced at $230.

I can't wait for the TG Test Track!

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
It is pretty much the reason I bought a ps3 years ago...well...other than the Blu-ray drive. I pre-ordered the collectors edition as well.

What I want to know is what the hell is going to be included in the ultimate edition that is priced at $230.

I can't wait for the TG Test Track!
I think the Ultimate is going to be everything the collectors has, plus whatever Logitech controller they'll release at the time. It probably will be an updated Driving Force wheel? If it is. I'd still pass on it and get a G27 instead.

If it doesn't have that controller. Then it better have a whole bunch of stuff in there that's worth over 200 bucks.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Then it better have a whole bunch of stuff in there that's worth over 200 bucks.
Sorry. I don't think this is worth it.:shrug:

Well, unless you win the Merc SLS AMG of course.

The Gran Turismo 5 Signature Edition includes:

-Special Signature Edition contoured metal case in black SLS AMG 'Obsidian Black' paint finish.
-Exclusive branded SLS AMG 1:43 model car.
-GT Leather wallet including entry method into Signature Edition in-game competition to win real Mercedes SLS AMG vehicle (value €180 000)
-Branded USB key (containing GT and Mercedes trailers)
-Exclusive Polyphony designed dynamic theme
-5 x Collector's Edition 'ChromeLine' cars with performance enhancements and exclusive livery 6 x pre-order 'Stealth' vehicles (with same enhancements).
-GT branded metal key fob
-Signature Edition coffee table book
-200 page drivers/strategy guide

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
For $200? F that. All trinkets you'll lose or get rid of when you move :noway:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts