Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mike Ryde - Brian May

This is actually really interesting. It'd be cool to get a Red Special replica, or another guitar with that wiring, and put all this to the test...

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
That site is awesome.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Talk about a wall of death!

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I remember when Guitarist reviewed the AC30BMS, which is an AC30 with all of the tone controls and pots taken out, and just a master volume. They mentioned that it was shockingly, painfully, exorbitantly loud. And this is a magazine that regularly reviews 100W behemoths through 4x12 cabs and cranks old Marshalls. They had to put it behind some cardboard boxes and it was STILL too loud. The review basically said that unless you played stadiums, don't bother.

·
Tune It Lower
1,114 Posts
Makes me REALLY wish I liked Brain May's tone. :ugh: I mean, I'm a huge Queen appreciator, but I'd take Rocky George's tone off 'The Art Of Rebellion' over Brain May anything. Phenomenal songwriter, though. :agreed:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Brian May's tone is awesome. None of the "Brian May" presets in modelers do it *any* justice whatsoever.

·
Dont you love balls?
1,482 Posts
Brian May's tone is awesome. None of the "Brian May" presets in modelers do it *any* justice whatsoever.
A huge part of it is definitely the sixpence he used instead of a pick giving him that insane high end attack. I can imagine trying to model such a delicate tone is a huge challenge.

Try playing with a quarter :lol:

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
By all accounts his treble booster's also a crucial part of his tone, as well as the insanely light strings he uses (used?).

Josh is right; there're so many weird elements that've gone into the mix, plus the technique involved, that his tone's one of those that's next to impossible to really nail.

·
Dont you love balls?
1,482 Posts
:yesway:

Everything about his playing, from gear to technique is just to unique and impossible to copy. He put so much effort into making his signature sound

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Plus, his composition skills are fantastic. The live version of "Brighton Rock Solo" with the two delays is just awesome.

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah didn't he use like .008 gauge strings with a 24" scale?
It was something totally insane like 8-32 IIRC. I've no idea what he uses these days.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
It was something totally insane like 8-32 IIRC. I've no idea what he uses these days.
Dude he's a fucking PhD chemist or biologist or some shit these days. I don't even know if he plays much any more, he just guest solos on some shit once in a while to remind us of his :bowdown: status.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Astrophysicist or Astronomer or something. He was touring with Queen + Paul Rodgers for a while, and before that writing stuff for We Will Rock You: The Musical. His recorded output is pretty low these days though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts