Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a house built in 1966, but it has updated wiring, everything is grounded, and the fuse panel is properly grounded.

But I get a wicket hum through my amps here, My SVT-II Pro, 6505+ and even my solid state TC BG250.

It comes through the guitars, you can hear it fade in and out depending on where I stand. My active Spector basses are all shielded.

So what is the fix here? Ground lift switch on my amp? Only my SVT-II has it.

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
Our house in H-Town had that. Pete from Abominog owns his own electrical contracting company and I had him fill me in (on our issue at least) - it's definitely a ground issue - either the fuse/breaker box isn't grounded properly or the ground spike outside isn't long enough. Apparently a lot of contractors don't buy long enough spikes and/or don't put them down far enough these days.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I have similar problems but just haven't thrown money at the problem.

I think an earlier poster is correct in that it may be the spike into the ground is the problem. If the house is built in 66 that's plenty of time for it to have developed a problem.... maybe the wire has come loose who knows.

I'd be curious to know if the trip lite iso transformer works.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Can you get away with using a 250W iso transformer?

Let's say you want to run a 100W amp plus some pedals. OR even better 2 x 100W amps plus pedals. Two people jamming.

Is there a formula for determining the size of iso transformer necessary?

The reason I ask is to get the 500W shipped to Canada I can buy a 1000W for a few dollars more or I can get a 250W for nearly half the price.

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will check the ground rod outside, I know where it's at.

Also I know my circuit box is grounded to the copper water pipe, which I know is a good ground generally. Generally there is more than one bonding to ground, I'm pretty rusty on the NEC(national electric code)
but i have an outdated usefull NED code book somewhere.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
It's possible you could also just have very noisy incoming power.

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Also I know my circuit box is grounded to the copper water pipe, which I know is a good ground generally.
My understanding of this is that grounding to pipe is no longer code - and tends to be spotty in it's effectiveness. YMMV

·
Guitar Fapper
18 Posts
ground to copper water pipe is the best. my experience in with hum is
1 ground loop. make sure everything is coming off the same outlet.
2 rheostats (dimmer switches) create a helluva lot of inductance (built up energy) causing hum.
I'm sure there are infinite other things. plug ur gear in at a friends to be sure something isn't wrong in your rig.
good luck, post back on the results

1 - 12 of 12 Posts