Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Settle a friendly internet disagreement:

Reversed headstocks alone do not increase tension on the lower strings, correct? Anything after the nut isn't going to effect the tension to any profound degree, correct?

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Correct, and, for reasons I can't be arsed explaining at 3am, it actually produces strings that feel easier to bend (if no locking nut - if there is one, obviously, the headstock could be nine feet long and still not make a difference).

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Correct, and, for reasons I can't be arsed explaining at 3am, it actually produces strings that feel easier to bend (if no locking nut - if there is one, obviously, the headstock could be nine feet long and still not make a difference).
To take this one step further... there are only three things that affect tension:

- Tuning
- String thickness / material
- Scale length

NOTHING ELSE affects tension. There are, however, some other factors that affect how "bendable" the string is without changing tension. String length is one - a longer string is easier to bend. A reverse headstock doesn't change tension because it doesn't change the scale length, but it does make the lower strings a bit easier to bend because there's more string length to work with. Unless, as Stitch said, there's a locking nut, because then the extra string length is clamped and doesn't stretch when you bend.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Toshiro said:
So, you're Polaris20 on rig-talk then? :rofl:
And HC, and Jemsite I think. I remember when he was all about his JS2000. :lol:
Dude, I still am all about my JS2000! it's my main player after all these years.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

technomancer said:
Yeah, that's me. And that chunktone dude is a dipshit.
No arguments I just didn't want to contribute to the derail :lol:
The OP already had his question answered, now it's just friendly banter. :)

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

sami said:
NAMM 2015!!!

Clearly that has more string tension! And Ralph Novak is wrong; all guitars are multiscale.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

The Dark Wolf said:
Good explanations you fellers.

I can't believe there are still people out there promoting this myth.
I guess what makes it more amusing is that the gentleman in disagreement claims to build guitars for a major company.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts

I guess what makes it more amusing is that the gentleman in disagreement claims to build guitars for a major company.
Yup, and he knows about as much as any other assembly line worker... the guys at the Sony plant soldering boards aren't electrical engineers either :rofl:

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Wow that chunktone dude has a fascinating avatar. :ugh:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

technomancer said:

Yup, and he knows about as much as any other assembly line worker... the guys at the Sony plant soldering boards aren't electrical engineers either :rofl:
Quite true, but he's using the status of tightening bolts or buffing paint as a means of authority.

"that's why I didn't put 'IMO' or 'IMHO', because it is a fact"

:lol:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Holy crap, that guy is either borderline retarded or he's trolling. My guess is the latter.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
I always refer to it as perceived tension. To your fingers, it feels like the shorter strings have more tension, especially when bending. Actual tension is a constant, perceived tension is affected by string length past the nut. Doesn't get simpler than that.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts