Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, does someone here uses a downtuned guitar using thicker string gauges (like D'addario EXL148 or similar)? Can someone post a pic of the nut with a similar setup? I've ordered a new guitar incl. a setup for drop c from a (well know) guitar shop and I'm not really happy with the results. It's not about the guitar at all, which is amazing bzw., it's about the setup, specially regarding the nut, it feels like they filed/cut the slots more than they shoud. Here are some pics and a video:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Km8MZQVMpHn6oZ7R7

Your opinion on this?

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Will do, thanks man.
You're in the UK, if I tell you which guitar shop did this work you won't believe, it's supposedly the biggest in Europe...
Haha oh I will. A lot of my business comes from people who took their guitar to a shop and they fucked it up. Shops don't care. They have a "team" to hide behind, they just want to take your money and get your guitar out the door. I've done so many rescue jobs from my local store. I know all the guys in there and they're all great guys, but they just don't care.

What fret is the string hitting? If its the 1st fret the nut is too low.
It's not just that. If the nut slot is filed too wide (like they clearly have been here) then the string doesn't sit in the slot snuggly, and buzzes against the sides, back, front of the slot too. There's also the angle of the slot to consider, so the string has the appropriate exit angle out the back of the nut towards the machine heads. There's so much to consider when filing a nut, and people just go at it with a butter knife like it's nothing :lol:

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
I bet it's Thomann. Right? Cause I mean.. Solar.

I would honestly not even be surprised if it came from the factory like that. I love Ola, and I love my Solar guitars and the service I received buying my solars was top fucking shelf, but the quality is still very much what you would expect from an Indonesian factory and there was some work that I had to put in to get them up to the top knotch playing instruments that the fan boys all claim they are.

The fact that Thomann (again, who I'm going on just by the fact that it's a solar) set it up and sent it off like this is unacceptable all the same.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Will do, thanks man.
You're in the UK, if I tell you which guitar shop did this work you won't believe, it's supposedly the biggest in Europe...
Big guitar shops NEVER have good techs on staff

It's like expecting to find an elite chef at McDonalds

Also....are you sure they used your 12-60's? Video can be deceptive...but that sure looks and sounds like a set of 10-46

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.