Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Good news, Everyone!
1,528 Posts
Stewmac? Overpricing for guitar maintenance things? Say it ain't so!

Yeah, they're basically the same. You could even run out to Home Depot and get a roll of aluminum shielding tape for $5, and it would do the same thing. I suppose copper conducts better, but aluminum is cheaper.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I haven't used the StewMac stuff so I can't do a head to head. But I have used the DiMarzio tape and it did an excellent job, left nothing to want. Fuck StewMac's 65% shipping:noplease:fee and get the DiMarzio tape from MF. Free shipping. Done.

You could even run out to Home Depot and get a roll of aluminum shielding tape for $5, and it would do the same thing. I suppose copper conducts better, but aluminum is cheaper.
I saw some of that aluminum shielding tape and was wondering if anyone knows if it does the job as effectively as copper...or at least effectively enough?

·
sawdust aficionado
1,343 Posts
I was just going through the same dilemma and decided to get the 2" wide roll of copper foil tape from StewMac because that should be enough to shield several guitars. The shipping cost though...that sucks. Maybe there's some other stuff you need, to make it worth placing an order.

Aluminum tape can be used, however, aluminum foil tape is most likely non-conductive adhesive which means folding, overlapping and taping every seam. It can be done, but, not worth the trouble in my opinion. I have only been able to find Nashua brand aluminum foil tape and it is non-conductive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts