Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's only one humbucker, and on-off switch.
If "on", there is signal and no hum.
When it's "off", it's humming A LOT.

The wiring is super simpel so I have no idea where I did anything wrong??

It's not too different from my one-volume pot wirings in my Jackson RR24 or a couple of other guitars.
Only difference is that it's a on-off button instead of volume pot.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Does this actually work ?

Having hard time imagning ground and hot going to same places...
Ground and hot aren't going to the same place unless the button is pressed, then it grounds out the signal. That's likely the best way to do it and avoid noise.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
I dont get how getting both ground and hot to the same lugs will make it work :eek:

I was under impression you want to AVOID them having contact?!?!?!? :eek: :eek: :eek: :ugh:
Ground to hot kills the signal, which is what you want. The way you have it right now creates an open circuit, which is not ideal.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
They are only wired together when you push your kill switch, because it kills the signal :lol: What is so hard to grasp here?

You know what a pickup does? Wires hot to ground, directly.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Normally you don't want ground and hot together, because it kills the sound. You are trying to kill the sound, so that is ok. The pickup can be directly wired to the output jack. The switch would short hot to ground (which you normally avoid because that would kill output, but thats the whole point here) in the off position.

When the switch is in the "on" position electrically speaking, the sound will be turned off, because hot and ground are connected. When you flip the switch and they no longer connect, sound will be restored. In an open circuit, there is room to pick up interference, and that still gets sent to the output. By shunting hot to ground, any signal, be it from your pickups or just from interference gets sent to ground, and will not be picked up by your amplifier.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
What I've drawn is basically the same as 2nd one you posted, actually :lol:

FWIW thats actually how a volume pot works, it sends SOME of the signal to ground. This is just sending it completely to ground, like a volume pot turned all the way down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts