Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have an Ibanez RGA121 prestige that I bought in September of 2009, and the only work one it was a bridge adjustment and intonation. I'm seeing stuff everywhere about Tung Oil and Lemon Oil, for the body, neck, and fretboard respectivly. Any advice?

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
The only thing you might need is lemon oil. Tung oil is used for naked wood, of which your guitar has none, except the fretboard, which is rosewood.

Lemon oil is used for rosewood to keep it moisturised to prevent it from swelling, shrinking and cracking.You don't need to use it often; I use it every time I restring my guitar but you can do it every couple of restrings if you prefern.

Most lemon oil (like Dunlop 65: Dunlop - ULTIMATE LEMON OIL ) comes with a felt applicator. Basically, you rub it on the fretboard between each fret, leave it for ten minutes, then remove it with a dry rag or cloth, then put strings on as normal.

I have an old picstory over on ss.org you can view here, which sort of outlines the process:

Restring/Fret Polish without steel wool - Sevenstring.org

Ignore the stuff about fret cleaning unless you fancy having a go at that too!

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man! That's rate informative and saved me money! I'll be cleaning it soon, and will show everyone the excellence of the RGA121 Prestige!

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Ignore the stuff about fret cleaning unless you fancy having a go at that too!
And even then, I REALLY can't recommend using any kind of cleaning compound on an open-grained fretboard like that. Masking tape + 0000 steel wool may take a little longer, but is ultimately less bad for your fretboard.

You probably won't need to worry about tung oil - is your RGA an oil finished body, or just a matte trans finish? Either way, unless the wood starts to wear down leaving it alone is probably fine. And like 99% of all Ibanez necks ship from the factory with a heavy clear on them, so you won't need to oil the back of the neck - the neck is already finished, there's no need to apply a new finish.

The fretboard, different story. Lemon oil or woodwind bore oil are both great.

If you want to get deeper into this stuff, here are the two sources I learned most of what I know from:

IBANEZ RULES!! tech - setup
http://www.jemsite.com/articles-menu/tech-setup-questions/

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
And even then, I REALLY can't recommend using any kind of cleaning compound on an open-grained fretboard like that. Masking tape + 0000 steel wool may take a little longer, but is ultimately less bad for your fretboard.

You probably won't need to worry about tung oil - is your RGA an oil finished body, or just a matte trans finish? Either way, unless the wood starts to wear down leaving it alone is probably fine. And like 99% of all Ibanez necks ship from the factory with a heavy clear on them, so you won't need to oil the back of the neck - the neck is already finished, there's no need to apply a new finish.

The fretboard, different story. Lemon oil or woodwind bore oil are both great.

If you want to get deeper into this stuff, here are the two sources I learned most of what I know from:

IBANEZ RULES!! tech - setup
http://www.jemsite.com/articles-menu/tech-setup-questions/
Pffft, it's fine. worked without any problems on countless customer guitars as well as my own for five years. :shrug: And as I said above, there isn't anything that needs treated on the RGA except the fretboard. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts