Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I love nice thin fast guitar neck as much as the next guy, but lately I've been paying more attention to unplugged tone and I've noticed that my thicker necked guitars and basses have a much thicker, more "alive" tone than my thinner necked ones. Also I was intrigued by a comment Phil Collen made on the latest GW cd with the same observation.

Whats everybodies opinions/experience with this?

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Well, my limited experience is that the thicker the neck, the more the neck wood colors the tone. But, if nothing else, mass would seem to increase vibrational energy...

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, my limited experience is that the thicker the neck, the more the neck wood colors the tone. But, if nothing else, mass would seem to increase vibrational energy...
Obviously its a bit hard to determine how much the neck wood colors tone, since you'd have to have two identical guitars to isolate the variable. But yeah, I think my thicker necked guitars are definitely louder and more "alive" feeling, whether thats the neck or other factors is hard to tell.

What was somewhat interesting to me, is that Phil Collen was talking about the effect on bolt ons, where I would think it would matter less than a NT :confused:

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
I think I'd have to agree that thicker necks do give you more "mass" to your tone. The Death Warrior has a neck that's best descirbed as "Louisville Slugger", but it was a tonal monster for metal rhythm work. That being said, I still prefer a slim neck, which is part of why I sold it.

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
It makes a huge difference, regardless of the type of neck joint. All of the good-sounding guitars I've ever owned have had at least medium-thickness necks, and the best ones have usually had pretty fat necks.

Since the bulk of the string length sits over the neck, it shouldn't be that surprising.

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,837 Posts
i'v been moving over to thicker necks. partly for the tone, and partly because the size of a 6 string neck made me have tons of wrist problems and the thicker and bigger the neck the better it is for my wrist.

my philophsy used to be smaller and thinner for everything on a guitar. these days i'm the opposite and want more wood. thicker bodies and thicker necks

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
i'v been moving over to thicker necks. partly for the tone, and partly because the size of a 6 string neck made me have tons of wrist problems and the thicker and bigger the neck the better it is for my wrist.

my philophsy used to be smaller and thinner for everything on a guitar. these days i'm the opposite and want more wood. thicker bodies and thicker necks
Strangely enough playing 7's has made me prefer a medium neck on a 6 string rather than a super thin neck. I guess I'm just used to feeling a certain "mass" of neck and a thin 7 neck equates to a medium 6.

Probably also explains why a 7 string always sounds a bit fuller to me than a 6 with equivalent specs.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I dig thicker necks for feel, and I have small, girly hands.

Aside from tone/feel, also more stable and less likely to need truss rod adjustments. I've had the KxK for a year now so it's been through a brutally dry Canadian winter, and a brutally humid summer. I haven't touched the truss rod. I suppose a thick neck and 2 carbon rods will do that to a guitar :lol:

·
RG 7 player of doom
690 Posts
Strangely enough playing 7's has made me prefer a medium neck on a 6 string rather than a super thin neck. I guess I'm just used to feeling a certain "mass" of neck and a thin 7 neck equates to a medium 6.

Probably also explains why a 7 string always sounds a bit fuller to me than a 6 with equivalent specs.
:agreed:

I tend to love the size of the Ibanez 7 string Wizard I necks, but goddamn, the 6 string Wizard I necks are just too thin for me. I've played the original RG550 models before, and while they're sweet guitars, the neck is just WAY too thin for my tastes. It sucks, because part of me wants to go buy a 6 string or two in the future, and it counts out Ibanez RG and S series guitars because I just can't get comfy with that size of neck.

It's gotta be that medium size, not too thick, not too thin. The thick Gibson necks they make just fatigue my hands too easily.

·
ENGLErnieBallGraphTechBKP
306 Posts
I gotta say it must make a massive difference, because my new Schecter C-8 Hellraiser with it's set-thru chunky neck, as the biggest most full bodied resonant tone I've ever experienced. I have the 7 string equivilent of the exact same Guitar, yet the sound is RADICALLY different.

I also attribute some of the tonal improvement to a heavier string gauge.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts