Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last week I decided to get 10 gauge strings for my LP, so on a whim I figured I'd get some more picks too. I logged onto Sweetwater.com and seen some Dunlop picks I've never noticed before, so I got some (I've been using the Tortex 1.0 for the longest time).

Among them (far right) is the John Petrucci Dunlop picks (they're 2.0)....I gotta tell you, THESE are the only picks I'm going to use from now on! They make playing easier because of their thickness, and notes seem fatter too (hard to tell about a sound difference, but playing is definitely easier feeling).

The ONLY reason I tried the John Petrucci picks is because even though I don't care much for his music, I hold his talent in the highest - and he has good ears for finding/getting good sounds, much like the same way EVH does with making his inventions (I ended up loving & getting the DiMarzio Illuminator pickup that Petrucci had them make). :yesway:

**ALSO**

Today Ola put out a Guitar Pick video with a some of the same picks I got last week, and he (seemingly) came to the same conclusion lol! :agreed:

I recommend trying some of these picks (the 2.0 thickness works better than I ever imagined it would).

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
I have a bin with a shitload of different stuff I tried until I settled into Fender 347 Heavy. That's all I use anymore, regardless of the string gauge.

Of course, I don't down-tune or play baritone or 7-strings, either.

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts

·
DOO)))M
7,435 Posts
I'm slowly working through the last like, 2 dozen of the MG InTune picks from that run we did what feels like forever ago :lol: Once those go, I'm fucked

·
Look what I can do
498 Posts
I've got some petrucci picks that are different than those...tried a 6-pack in an order with a bunch of different picks. I kind of like them...but keep ending up back on the tortex JazzIII-XL 1.35mm. There's shit about that pick I don't like, but I still haven't found anything else that keeps me away from it

i go through 'what fucking pick do I actually like' crises every few months...annoying as hell.

·
Obsessed by day glo Green
2,827 Posts
I used to love jaz IIIs, now I'm finding I like tortex picks again. It just varies all the time, and there really is bugger all explanation for it.

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
I use 2.0 guage picks as well (namely the purple Dunlop Big Stubbies and prior to that, Tortex 2.0), and have been using for years. I was asked to change to a lighter guage (red Stubby 1.0) at one point because I was picking too hard apparently, but I since jumped back to 2.0s again. I want to try others (might try the Tortexes again) but I always come back to the Big Stubbies.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I use Clayton Acetal picks in 1.0mm. They're a similar material to Dunlop Tortex, but the finish work on Clayton is head and shoulders above Dunlop. They fully round the edges, rather than leaving them sharp/unfinished like Dunlop, so they glide easily over the strings.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I use Clayton Acetal picks in 1.0mm. They're a similar material to Dunlop Tortex, but the finish work on Clayton is head and shoulders above Dunlop. They fully round the edges, rather than leaving them sharp/unfinished like Dunlop, so they glide easily over the strings.
I find the "sharp/unfinished" edge on new Dunlops to be kind of nice, actually. Gives it a bit more edge and also a different feel when you dig in. Not that I stop using them when they wear down, but it's a definite tonal and feel difference.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
I'm slowly working through the last like, 2 dozen of the MG InTune picks from that run we did what feels like forever ago :lol: Once those go, I'm fucked
Yeah those 1.14 jazz sized ones are the business.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
I find the "sharp/unfinished" edge on new Dunlops to be kind of nice, actually. Gives it a bit more edge and also a different feel when you dig in. Not that I stop using them when they wear down, but it's a definite tonal and feel difference.
Yeah I liked the sharp edge on the dunlop ultex picks for sure for the same reasons. I'm starting to suspect that a lot of the things I like actually make things more difficult for me though, like that, and picking like a goddamn sledge hammer on thick ass strings :lol:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Not that picky, I use Jazz III XLs mostly, but I'll use whatever.

Can't play the regular size Jazz III anymore though, Dunlop make some great Jazz style picks that fly under a bunch of people's radars that are between a regular Jazz III and a Jazz III XL.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
^
Recently (well, last year) got into those. The heavy, Fender sized 'cat tongue' kinda Cool picks are closest I've gotten to a good 'all around pick' just because they have more flex than a Jazz III (which I love, but the stiffness seems to mess with trem picking for me), they're not too big or small, and they grip better than anything else I've used, especially when you start sweating.

As Ola kinda said above, I still haven't found an "ultimate" guitar pick. Every one I've played has some things it does well and things is doesn't.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I went and ordered some of those giant ones after watching Mr Ola's video, actually. I haven't tried anything new lately in the realm of picks :yesway:

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
Love my carbon fiber Max-grip Jazz III but went and ordered a small pack of those new Petrucci "Flow" to see what the hype is all about.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts