Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I first experienced this when I was 12 or 13 and it's become one of my biggest pet peeves since then.

You know those guitarist who, not on a stage, but when you're sitting in a room with them and they start playing and stare you right in the face as if they're forcing some kind of connection onto you or there's some belief that you'll see passion burning in their eyes as they play. Get the fuck out of here with that shit.

I was just watching this YouTube vid on the Fishman Fluence pick-ups and I know this dude is one of the heinous offenders.

Granted, in this one you can tell he's watching himself on the screen more than anything else, but if there weren't a recording device there, it'd be a human getting those awkward, forced connection stares. I got a Sweetwater gift card burnin' a hole in my pocket, have been thinking about the Dev set but this damn video made me cringe so much and brought me back to every time I've sat in a room with some dipshit staring me in the eye instead of focusing on what the fuck he's supposed to be playing.

So yeah, fuck those guys.

Merry Christmas.

Edit- Also note how buddy adds in some exaggerated body movements here and there to accentuate just how much he feels those notes....when he remembers to do it. This goes hand in hand with stare-you-in-the-face players.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
I'm one of those assholes. :lol: I'm also one of those assholes that cuts off what he's saying when he starts playing. "Yeah, this tone is great because it's *CHUG CHUG CHUGGA WEDDLE CHUG*, y'know?".

And yeah I love Lasse's tones, but the dude's such a bro in his videos AND social media.

Also the Fishmans are cool. From what I can tell the Devin set is pretty much a smoother 81/66 set. I had the KsE set and it's an 81/85 set with TONS more mids and less bass/low mids. Although it's hard to simplify it down to that since there's more going on.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
I saw Necrophagist one time and Sami stared into the audience like he was trying to telepathically light everyone on fire. Considering the shit he was playing without looking at his guitar, it was as impressive as it was frightening.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm one of those assholes. :lol: I'm also one of those assholes that cuts off what he's saying when he starts playing. "Yeah, this tone is great because it's *CHUG CHUG CHUGGA WEDDLE CHUG*, y'know?".

And yeah I love Lasse's tones, but the dude's such a bro in his videos AND social media.

Also the Fishmans are cool. From what I can tell the Devin set is pretty much a smoother 81/66 set. I had the KsE set and it's an 81/85 set with TONS more mids and less bass/low mids. Although it's hard to simplify it down to that since there's more going on.
Noooooo.....don't be that guy!!!!

I also do the same thing where I stop talking and play though, I hadn't thought of it, but I do it a LOT.

This was the first and only vid I've ever seen of this dude. I figured by the comments complimenting his playing that he's got a few YT fans out there. I can't say I'll be purposefully looking for more of his content as I'm quite sure I'm just going to rag on it the entire time.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I saw Necrophagist one time and Sami stared into the audience like he was trying to telepathically light everyone on fire. Considering the shit he was playing without looking at his guitar, it was as impressive as it was frightening.
See, I don't mind when it happens from the stage. In that case, it's a performance and the musician is purposefully trying to make a connection and I encourage it.
It's just when you're talkin' to a regular dude in a regular setting and they start doing that shit. "Let me mesmerize you by glaring into your eyes while I play." One of my last guitar player's was like that and I'd just make stupid faces at him until he stopped.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I don't get the hype for those Fluence pickups. Every time I hear them in a demo they sound like shit.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't get the hype for those Fluence pickups. Every time I hear them in a demo they sound like shit.
Aside from Devin himself, I haven't much that's blown me away. What appeals to me is the active/passive possibilities but I haven't bit the bullet because I've always preferred passive pickups and whenever I go to add the Fishman's to a cart, I reason with myself, "You can get 2 Dimarzio's for less than half what these costs..."....and then I start looking at Dimarzio's and never making a choice because I start to think maybe I really DO want the Fishman's?

Edit- Apparently I don't want new pickups that much at all. I got a Sweetwater gift card today and it was burnin' a hole in my pocket, new cables and a Digitech Freqout were the winners.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I feel this is aimed at me somehow :D
Dead wrong, brother.

It crossed my mind during one of your Riff Of The Week segments a few weeks back but you don't stare into the camera like you're trying to see it's fuckin' soul and you don't even look at the camera EVERY time you play something. Watch the vid above and note the difference. You, Pete Thorn and Rick Beato are the only guys I subscribe to on the YouTubes as I never get the feeling of shtick or going through the motions just to get a video out. While I can't stand most YouTube personalities, my fiancee and I have been having "Breakfast with Ola" every Sunday morning for the last several months. There's no way I'd start my day off with a dipshit staring into my face like he's Steve Vai trying to look into the eyes of a fan from across a stadium. Keep up the great work, I'm looking forward to picking up an E model later this year from Solar!

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
I hunt down a do-able bar fly, then make ghost babys until Olas video pops in the morning, wash my junk, toss down a handfull of pills with whats left in the bottle, and pass out.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Totally used to do this when shooting video on my old camera, largely because it had a reversible viewfinder and I wanted to make sure I was still in the frame. :lol:

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
My 2 best sounding guitars are (and were) an Aria Flying V with Moderns and an LTD AS-1 with Classics. Had the KsE in an Epi Explorer that sounded pretty great as well. At the same time I've tried them in guitars and they sounded pretty meh. Had a PRS SVN w/ moderns and they were bland as shit , and currently have Classics in my LTD EXP-200 and they're super harsh. Swapping them for dual EMG 81s.

TBH some of the best split sounds I got were from the KsE set in voice 3.

They're cool pickups, just no way In hell I'm paying the prices they go for new. Either always got them on sale or 2nd hand.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
With the Fluence sets, I don't have much interest in actives, but Frank Falbo is a pretty bright guy with some interesting ideas, so I'd say anything he was involved in has at least the potential to sound good.

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
I'm very interested in the fluence pickups however the pricing is a bit much.

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
Ive talked privately about tones with LL before and hes a cool guy. His youtube videos...meh...

I enjoy Fluffs videos as he seems the most genuine. Granted I have zero interest in what he talks about but I still watch.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I get what you mean with the staring thing but Lasse seems like a cool enough guy from his videos. At least he makes good videos that get straight to the damn point instead of crapping on for ages!

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Throw him a kiss. Bonus points if his jars up his own parts :lol:

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
When your playing at home and look outside and see that the dude next door is rocking out to what your doing.

:disco:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts