Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, while talking to my dad earlier discussing music gear and whatnot I realized that I am not really happy with my current clean tone, and want to find a preamp and use a small rack system for at least my "super clean" channel...a few extra channel options are a plus, but I realized I know about a LOT of boutique amps......none of them are really "clean" amps. :rofl: Now don't get me wrong I fucking love the tone I get from my Mesa, especially my OD channel, and I love my clean channel as well..but its not really clean, but more gritty and pushed. I don't want to change these tones, just add something to get a Real clean tone as well.

I was eyeballing a Kitty Hawk M1 head earlier, but I really would prefer to have a preamp/poweramp setup, because I already will be carrying the Mesa, Cab, and a Rack...so i'd rather shove my clean/2nd amp into the rack case to save some space. Basically, looking for something Cheap, preferably tube, with Really good cleans. I would love to have a giant 666 cab, 999 head setup, but in reality I don't want to carry/hook up all that shit every show.... 1 head, rack amp/rack gear, pedal board, and 1 (eventually 2) cab(s) is more than enough.

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
Still to this day the Mesa Mark amps have my favorite clean tone. The triaxis rhythm 1 and rhythm 2 are just awesome, but I don't know if that's what you're looking for.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Still to this day the Mesa Mark amps have my favorite clean tone. The triaxis rhythm 1 and rhythm 2 are just awesome, but I don't know if that's what you're looking for.
I want a Triaxis period, but its a bit out of my price range...especially to be used as a "clean" amp with benefits. $500 or less is about what i'm looking to spend. I'll also have to invest in a poweramp.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ADA MP-2?
That was actually one of my first thoughts, and its still on my list. I looked up the Mesa Quad as well, that is also on my list, spotted one on ebay with the bid at $305 but i'm sure it'll go up higher and I don't have the cash yet...eagerly awaiting my refund to fuel my gear whoredom.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Get a huge rack and use all of the preamps with a loop switcher!

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wirelessly posted (Shadow: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-us; Droid Build/FRG83D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I seen some Tube Works preamps going for super cheap on ebay, anyone have any experience with them? I found some clips but the only relevant clip was going through a Bogner Shiva, which will make just about anything sound good. :lol:

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
For some reason that thing sounds compressed as fuck.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll restate. There is only one true answer.

:agreed: Yeah I probably will go that route unless I man up and just go for another head. :rofl: Such as:

$479 (Kitty Hawk M1)

$349 (Peavey Classic 50)

$399 (Roland Jazz Chorus)

$369 (Lab Series L2 head)

I know I said preamp, and I would rather have a preamp/poweramp to save space but a second head is looking like the cheaper option.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
You can't go wrong with the Roland Jazz Chorus dude, it's less practical in some ways, but it also sounds fucking amazing.

Neat trick with the MP-1. On the solid state clean channel one of the gain settings acts as a compressor, so you can get that nice "clicky" or "attacky" clean sound if you want to. It's nice, gives it a bit of "sparkle" :D

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You can't go wrong with the Roland Jazz Chorus dude, it's less practical in some ways, but it also sounds fucking amazing.

Neat trick with the MP-1. On the solid state clean channel one of the gain settings acts as a compressor, so you can get that nice "clicky" or "attacky" clean sound if you want to. It's nice, gives it a bit of "sparkle" :D
You mean like the Alice in Chains style clean tone? That is about what i'm looking for for my clean tone but like I said, head is less practical than a preamp, but looking like the cheaper option. And the Kitty Hawk, I just want for the sake of having something "off" honestly, though they're supposed to be something like the "German Mesa" and i've never seen anyone rocking a Kitty Hawk AND Mesa rig before.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
The MP-1 and some chorus should be able to get that AIC tone I'd imagine. Jerry is fond of Bogners FWIW

1 - 20 of 23 Posts