Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a student that broke his arm yesterday, but doesn't want to completely fall behind and wait 6 weeks.

To complicate matters further, he's 10 years old. Both he and his mom want to continue with lessons though; they are insistent on it.

I haven't seen the severity of it yet or what limitations it's going to cause, but I was thinking of going into some techniques involving just the left hand (fretboard) and then also perhaps dive deeper down the music theory rabbit hole. Bearing in mind he's only 10, it can't get too complicated, but perhaps he can use this time to brush up on that.

Any ideas? This is a unique problem for me, as it's never occurred before.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
How long has he been playing?

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
I think you are right with maybe some legato stuff, and most of all, theory. I am not sure how much theory he knows, but basic theory is simple enough for a 10 year old.

·
Registered
617 Posts
If he broke his picking hand then I would say show him some legato stuff. It might be a bit much for him but a few basic melodies and licks could be used. Maybe even just some exercises to build up his legato strength and endurance and to make him aware that not everything needs to be picked.
I'd recommend trying to get him to practice some listening too. Get him to try and pick out some note intervals you play and sing back melodies after one listen to try and help his ear develop. That kind of thing at that age should help him develop a load and would go nicely in hand with some theory you show him.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If he broke his picking hand then I would say show him some legato stuff. It might be a bit much for him but a few basic melodies and licks could be used. Maybe even just some exercises to build up his legato strength and endurance and to make him aware that not everything needs to be picked.
I'd recommend trying to get him to practice some listening too. Get him to try and pick out some note intervals you play and sing back melodies after one listen to try and help his ear develop. That kind of thing at that age should help him develop a load and would go nicely in hand with some theory you show him.
Good point on both, but especially the listening. That's a great idea.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4B1 Safari/419.3)

Concentrate on teaching him theory.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
I have taught lessons in the past and although I never had this problem, I would suggest concentrating on fretting hand technique and legato playing. I'd also throw in some basic theory unless you have worked on that and then I would just start working his theory and having him practice that instead of guitar, obviously.

·
\m/ Tits & Beer \m/
1,150 Posts
Teach him the "Whiplash" solo... particularly the section where Hammett pulls off on the G-string and works his way up LOL

Anytime I mention the word theory to any student younger than 15 they run away. LOL I dont know much theory myself, so I don't go crazy teaching it. I would try and make lessons as fun as possible being that I'm sure he's pretty miserable. Maybe take this time to focus on strengthening his left hand with legato exercise shapes on different string groups i.e.

Shape 1: Root, Whole Step, Half Step
Shape 2: Root, Half Step, Whole Step
Shape 3: Root, Whole Step, Whole Step

I'm not sure how far you are along with him, however this is a great introduction to the modes being that each mode uses these shapes. Also, play with the idea of using a hair tie or something to mute the other strings at first... kinda like legato training wheels. Then once his right arm is operational, give him some string skipping exercises along with some economy picking.

Hope this helped!

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, a ten year old is......interesting. The attention span of a gnat. But he does well, all things considered.

·
I MG.org salute you.
2,501 Posts
Teach him some....erm...oldies...

It'll be incentive for his other arm to heal faster. :lol:

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
I'd go for the legato thing as well, plus a little ear-training.

Don't present it as theory though; tell him you're going to start teaching him to learn songs for himself, and it'll seem a lot more attractive to him.:)

Maybe start teaching him some new chord voicings as well?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts