Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soo i was looking to make my own guitar to customize and make ..my own. I have a Black Ibanez S520EX with EMG 81s in the bridge and 85s in the neck. i had to delete the tone knob to relocate the input jack. and taped a design on it to cover the previous input jack.

But...i like the look of the Schecter Avenger.. Always played Schecter before switching to Ibanez. only thing is..it'd be wicked expensive to get the gutiar how i want it. a Schecter Avenger flat top with a floyd rose and different neck with no fret inlays.

Question is....would it be considered not "custom" to get a Synyster Gates Custom Avenger (comes flat top with a original floyd rose). Sand it down, repaint it black, put my EMG's in it.. and somehow redo the neck to have no fret inlays ..maybe a different neck? Basically use the guitar for the flat top/floyd rose set up

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point....but i'm always in the music scene...ive always been the type ..to not play other peoples signature stuff...i guess it wouldn't be signature anymore..since i took that idea..and made it my own....no different than getting any other guitar.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So next point....how would i go about changing the fret board...i don't want any fret inlays....especially anything that says SYN on it...to de-signature series the guitar.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
So next point....how would i go about changing the fret board...i don't want any fret inlays....especially anything that says SYN on it...to de-signature series the guitar.
Buy a different guitar, a new neck, or be ready to cough up more than the guitar's worth to have it changed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it's a thru neck though..is there anyway to just change the fretboard itself?
not worth it?? keep the ibanez? lol..i just need an endorsement to Schecter..

·
Read Only
10 Posts
it's a thru neck though..is there anyway to just change the fretboard itself?
not worth it?? keep the ibanez? lol..i just need an endorsement to Schecter..
Yep, you can change the fretboard, it's just an extremely expensive decision.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Easy: Take a Sharpie and colour the inlays black.

Medium: Remove the frets, use a Dremel to cut out all the inlays, then fill them and do a re-fret.

Hard: Remove the fretboard, have a new blank one put on.

But if you're going to do that, then you might be better off starting with a different guitar. Maybe try and find an old flat-top bolt-on Avenger and have a neck made to fit.

Or find a neck you like and have a body made to fit.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What about getting a Avenger Hellraiser and sanding it down to a flat top and customizing it myself? if able to do said job.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
What about getting a Avenger Hellraiser and sanding it down to a flat top and customizing it myself? if able to do said job.
Hah. Yeah. Good luck with that one. You'd have to redo EVERYTHING.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Yeah, no. That's not gonna work. It would alter the height of the entire face of the guitar and its angle in relation to the neck, and as Josh said, you'd have to re-do everything.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Pay someone to make you a guitar how you like it. You'll get what you want done, and get it done right. Removing the fretboard on a set neck guitar would be a bitch, and adding to the difficulty is the binding.

·
It's just a joke
115 Posts
At the point of doing all this work you will have paid the same amount as getting something totally custom made and gone through a lot more hassel.

If you are OK with a bolt on, check out steve benford of benford guitars. His custom body guitars start at 875. Chances are you could get something like what you want for around 1k from him.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Good point....but i'm always in the music scene...ive always been the type ..to not play other peoples signature stuff...i guess it wouldn't be signature anymore..since i took that idea..and made it my own....no different than getting any other guitar.
Not to be hard on you, but you wouldn't BELIEVE the number of people who say this, and play Gibson Les Pauls. At the end of the day, a guitar is a guitar. I play an Ibanez Universe, and anyone hearing my playing wouldn't even begin to confuse me with a Steve Vai fan.

That said, I'm with the general consensus here - if you're still asking yourself pretty basic spec questions, I wouldn't really recommend investing in a custom guitar or doing some serious, expensive and un-reversable mods to a production guitar until you have a much better idea of just what you want. Hell, I've been playing almost 15 years now, and I'm only just getting to the point where I'm maybe 95% settled on what specs I'd want.

By the way, and I thought I abused ellipses... :lol:

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Oh, man... i'm king of the ellipsis abuse. Although i have to say, i'm starting to force myself to use full-stops, commas – and en-dashes – more than i used to. It's just better form.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts