Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'd like to show you some of my new videos on different guitars.

I try to show useful stuff so that I'm adding value to you instead of just showing my videos. So I have TABs of some interesting licks for you too:)

Video #1 on an Ibanez RGIX-20 FEQM-SBS

Backing track, courtesy of Andy James:

TAB of the lick between 0:38-0:44:

Also, I'll soon start a new instructional YouTube series on soloing, here is the intro, I'm working day in and day out on the first few episodes right now.

Last but not least, you can listen to the full album stream of my latest album, featuring Andy James, Mattias IA Eklundh, Troy Stetina, Brett Garsed, Mats Haugen of Circus Maximus, and a lot of great musicians:

I hope that you'll find some of the stuff useful. I'll come back later and post more ideas and licks.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Hey Shawn, hopefully you'll feel that it was worth seeing this thread.
We generally delete YouTube spam pretty quickly, and you're a new member with five posts, is what Shawn's getting at.

I'm not deleting it yet because it seems to be shred spam and not djent spam, but I wouldn't be surprised if one of the other mods is less lenient.

In the meantime, if you want people to check your music out, the best way to do that is to become part of the community and get to know people, so they'll WANT to spend the time figuring out what you're up to musically. :yesway:

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
I'm with Drew. I've moved it to a more appropriate section of the site, which, if OP really had looked at the site, he'd have seen was the best place for it. But it's definitely a little more than just 'check out my music!!!', so I reckon it's ok.

I've a feeling OP won't see this until he next has something to spam. If that's so, I guess we'll respond accordingly. For now, I say we let the chips fall where they may. :2cents:

Looking at some of that notation, I am curious how you get 31 notes in a 4/4 bar without getting all Pete Zeldman. But it's a little too spammy for me to check the videos to see how!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hi Drew, I see your point of view. That's why I tried to make a genuine attempt not just coming in and post a random video of me playing, but I have posted TABs as well and shared my lessons page as well. I'm pretty sure that some of the readers will find one or two licks interesting and/or useful.

Hi Lee, thanks for your fairness and positive attitude and also thanks for moving the post to a more appropriate section.

I've checked out Pete Zeldman now, haven't heard from him until now:)

The above TABs have pretty straightforward pentatonic/minor licks, and sometimes it sounds quite natural to have an odd number of notes in a bar. I'd suggest that just take a look, hopefully you will agree:)

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
It's not a matter of interpretation. Either there's a 32nd note rest you haven't notated, you're playing 31st notes (which would be Pete Zeldman-like), you're playing a more complex/compound rhythm for that bar than you've notated, or you have a case of 'shreditis' - when people have sequences of notes that begin and end at defined points, but have a rhythmically inaccurate/undetermined phrase between.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you mean the last lick (2nd video, 0:38-0:44), then the 7+6+9+9 structure means that the first group of notes are septuplets, then sextuplets then two bunch of "ninetuplets" (strange name, also called "Nonuplets"). So there isn't a rest, and at the end the sum will be the length of a full bars, because 7 pieces of septuplets are a quarter length, and so do the other three groups.
This is a common thing when playing faster lines - you can cram and odd number of notes in a bar. Yngwie and a lot of other faster players do it a lot. And of course you are perfectly right that the individual notes aren't 32nds - that's why the numbers (7, 6, 9, 9) above/belove the groups.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wirelessly posted

Gotcha. So, it's essentially the last of the four possibilities I mentioned. Never say never, but I'm generally not a fan of that approach. It usually just sounds too imprecise for me. But to each their own!
If you listen to the 2nd video between 0:38-0:44 then I think you'll like this flurry of notes.

Btw, I have checked out your YT channel, and was glad to discover some of your Sfogli covers, great stuff! I did a cover of The Reaction too, I don't want to embed it here, but I provide the SoundCloud link: SC link

The Ibanez in your Reaction video looks really beautiful. So cool to meet you Lee, I'm sending my greetings from Hungary!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank God you've written this about the Zeldman drum video:) For a moment I thought that your remark is about the topic starter guitar videos, but then I knew that it can't be possible:))

·
Oh yeah!
1,913 Posts
Technically cool, but completely unlistenable. That's not even music anymore, to me. It's just an exercise in technical ability.
Which is exactly why I want to see what the hell he does compose that is music since he has so much control.

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
Hi Dominic, great to meet you again! :yesway:
:yesway: Sorry, should have said: I'm "Gandalf" on the Racer X board, that was my nickname in college. I miss the more active days of that forum, but I suppose it's hard to keep the dream alive that Racer X will rise yet again from its ashes given the diverse careers of its various members.

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
Hi Gandalf, those were the times back in 2008-2009 at the RacerX forum. Personally I think there will be a RacerX reunion, somehow I have the feeling that it will happen:)
Yeah, there were so many cool folks and great players on there then. :(

I was amazed when I found this place as I thought message boards were all dying.

I've not entirely given up hope on an RX reunion, but it's quite clear that Paul is now into very different musical things, and to a very large extent it all hinges on him. I feel very sorry for Jeff, the other guys are OK, I think.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.