Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.guitarworld.com/artists/the-25-best-metal-guitar-tones-of-all-time

There's a couple on there that I agree with, but it just reeks of "COOL HIPSTER GUY TRYING TO COME ACROSS AS RELAVENT/KNOWLEDGABLE".

Thoughts?

My own thoughts.

-Master of Reality is the second best Ozzy Sabbath album, behind Vol. 4 and SBS tied for first, but if you were picking the best Iommi tone, the tone on Heaven and Hell is way better. If you have to be a doom hipster and make it something '70s, Vol. 4 has way better tone than MoR.

-No Savatage "Edge of Thorns", which is scientifically proven to be the greatest guitar tone on an album of all time.

-No Van Halen? Like, at all? Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love should definitely be top 5.

-Entombed at 4? LOL. Death Metal poser Entombed core kid. He didn't even try on that one. You could have gone more obscure like Dismember's "Like an Everflowing Stream" or at least "Clandestine".

-Rainbow "Rising". Not a bad choice at all. But I think both the debut and Long Live have better tones. The debut has some gorgeous tones on "Catch the Rainbow". In terms of Blackmore tones overall, Perfect Strangers is sonically the best Deep Purple album overall, tonally. But there are a lot of good ones to pick from.

-No AJFA? Poser.

-Screaming For Vengeance? No complaint there, awesome sounding record.

-Danzig. He's right that that's a great VHT tone.

-Enslaved? Enslaved is one of the sickest bands going, but I don't know if I would cite that record as their best tones.

-L'Enfant Sauvage. Excellent choice. The Live album version is great too. Up there with Surgical Steel for awesome tones from the last decade. Amazing record musically as well as textually. Shame their newer stuff wasn't at the same level, but it was admittedly a tough act to follow.

-Immortal "At The Heart of Winter". Top 25? I don't know about that, great sounding record for sure.

-Celtic Frost? Dude doesn't even mention that Tom G Warrior's signature trick is turning his tone knob all the way down and using the TS to bring back some presence. Which is basic info that somehow a lot of Celtic Frost "fans" don't know.

-No Iron Maiden? No Scorpions? What the fuck is wrong with this dude.

-No Carcass "Heartwork"? What the fuck. I think Surgical Steel actually sounded better, and I personally find some of the great tones on Deceased records to be more to my taste in terms of DM, but denying Heartwork is weird as fuck.

-No Morbid Angel? I could see maybe not having them if the whole list was packed of good shit. But denying their importance in terms of Death Metal tones is ridiculous. Obituary? Please. Slowly We Rot has gnarlier tones.

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
-No Savatage "Edge of Thorns", which is scientifically proven to be the greatest guitar tone on an album of all time.

-No Van Halen? Like, at all? Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love should definitely be top 5.
Seriously, on both accounts. Really though, guitar tones from the early 90s were just so great on records. Hetfield, Zakk Wylde, Alex Skolnick, Scott Ian, John Petrucci, etc. all had huge iconic sounds from that era.

The only one i agreed with on that list was Gojira. :smoking:

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
This list is just so wrong in some places... (Gojira, Meshuggah, LOG, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest are all great).

+1 on the Van Halen, he could have been at least three of these spots. (Self-Titled, For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge, Fair Warning).

3+ Savatage's "Edge of Thorns." Criss Oliva never gets enough credit.

What about John Syke's tone from "1987" or the Blue Murder self-titled.

George Lynch's tone on "Wicked Sensation?"

Megadeth's "Rust in Peace." Metallica's "Black Album." John Petrucci's tone on "Images & Words" or "Awake."
Steve Vai's tone on "Alien Love Secrets." Michael Romeo on Symphony X's "Iconoclast?"

This list should have had also Jeff Loomis's tone from "The Godless Endeavor" or "Dead Heart in a Dead World."

Hardly anyone will know this but Arjen J. Lucassen created a CRUSHING tone on his 2nd Star One album.
Listen here:

Sorry for being all over the place. This list bothered me more than I realized. :lol:

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Calling bullshit on this list since there's no mention of Chocolate Starfish or Significant Other era Wes Borland.

·
Guitarded
Rig: Marshall DSL20
429 Posts
Calling bullshit on this list since there's no mention of Chocolate Starfish or Significant Other era Wes Borland.
:dillon:

Man I always end up pissed after reading one of these things. guess thats just the nature of it. "music is subjective" and all that bullshit. still, no fucking van halen??? how is that not unanimously agreed upon as at least one of the top 3 of all fucking time? :nuts: the writer should be lynched with Lynch's guitar cable. :pissed:

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
Lists like this are to get clicks and make money. They are the equivalent to idiotic open mouth youtube thumbnails.

Surgical Steels tone is better than Heartwork Garrett, agreed.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Stopped reading after I saw Kill Em All. That album sounds like buttocks.
The engineer even says it sounds like ass, since it was recorded for $1.50. :lol:

This guy spent a lot of time trying to be edgy, and failed miserably.

·
Registered
149 Posts
It's another list made by someone with narrow music experience.

Along with the lack of Lynch, and Sykes, what about Ritchie Blackmore's Made In Japan tone? It's ridiculous.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
How painfully fucking subjective :lol:

But also wrong, as Life of Agony's "River Runs Red" tone isn't on there. Weak.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
I recorded with Joeys head that he used on that album. Its a modded Dual Rec.

Really? Fuck man, you can see Marshall 8100's in the background in the video for Through And Through, I was kinda hoping that's what it was because I use one and it's fucking sick :lol:

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
Really? Fuck man, you can see Marshall 8100's in the background in the video for Through And Through, I was kinda hoping that's what it was because I use one and it's fucking sick :lol:
Yes a modded dual rec and prob other heads to blend. (He told me and I forgot, lol) We used my 6505+, his modded dual rec and 2 different cabs. I wasnt that much of a gear nerd like I am now back then. I would have asked him a ton more questions.

4,429 Posts
This guy spent a lot of time trying to be edgy, and failed miserably.
These things get a lot more shares when they're dumb than when they're accurate. I remember when Rollingstone made Skrillex the 100th greatest guitarist of all time cause some kid covered one of his songs on youtube.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
These things get a lot more shares when they're dumb than when they're accurate. I remember when Rollingstone made Skrillex the 100th greatest guitarist of all time cause some kid covered one of his songs on youtube.
That is 100% the level of stupidity I'd expect of that magazine. :lol:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts