Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
ENGLErnieBallGraphTechBKP
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came home from a London hospital earlier after visiting one of my best band members. Due to the freak snow and ice in the UK lately, the country's been a bit chaotic anyway, but my relatively new Aussie band member wanted to be 12 years old again and go Sleighing. Whilst gunning it down hill, she hit a bump, went over, and as she came down, compressed her spine, shattering one of the vertebrae.

My heart goes out to her as her entire family are literally poles apart, being the other side of the world, but bless her, she's such a trooper. She says that whilst she's in there, she's got our stuff on her iPod and is mentally going through the notation to keep her going. She's asked me to get her a gripmaster to keep her on top form for when she recovers. I think what pisses me off the most is that Sally Jo is playing with 4-5 bands here in the UK, and I'm the only fucker to have made any efforts to see her, or even call her since the accident. Some people can be such arseholes.

But has anyone had an injury like this? Any idea how long it'd be before she's up and about again? She's nervous that major surgery could render her immobile if it goes wrong, and I would be too. Sally Jo is one of the best Violinists I've ever seen ... 6 string electric Violinist too, making her extra unique. I know how I'd feel at the prospect of never playing again.

Anyway, if anyone feels so inclined, please throw her some positive comments and support either on her Facebook page, Twitter, or Youtube channel. I'm sure it'd keep her motivated :)

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Droid Build/FRG22D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

That's awful. I hope she makes a speedy recovery.

·
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Droid Build/FRG22D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

That's awful. I hope she makes a speedy recovery.
Thanks man, me too

·
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Poor girl. Best wishes. I can't advise on her health outlook, hopefully the doctors can tell you best.
Yeah, not too much faith in them right now! When she was first brought in, they insisted she got up and walked around before examining her. Few hours later scanned her, and realised she shouldn't. Automatic assumption is that when someone is screaming in agony following a winter sports activity, that it's not serious? :pissed:

·
Motherfucker.
3,459 Posts
Yeah, not too much faith in them right now! When she was first brought in, they insisted she got up and walked around before examining her. Few hours later scanned her, and realised she shouldn't. Automatic assumption is that when someone is screaming in agony following a winter sports activity, that it's not serious? :pissed:
WTF? I assume she was taken in on a spinal board...surely there's a clue into whether or not she should be made to get up and walk or not!

But then, I'm not doctor...so, I don't know, that's just my assumption.

I hope she makes a full and speedy recovery.

·
18,790 Posts
You'd be amazed how many times I or people I know have gone into emerg with pain (in my own case, this happened when I messed up my shoulder a year ago, and when I broke a wisdom tooth last December) and was basically made to wait a ridiculous amount of time, asked way too many questions, and basically treated like I'm just looking for painkillers to feed my drug habits before they were finally convinced that I was actually in pain. Hell, even the guy who looked in my mouth to see my broken tooth (which was ridiculously painful) was skeptical at first until he said "Oh, wait, there it is, yeah, that's broken." :noway:

Junkies and hypochondriacs are ruining the health care system, everywhere.

·
Habitual Line Stepper
490 Posts
Sorry to hear. My thoughts are with her.

About 8 years ago I had a bad motorcycle accident that resulted in 3 badly fractured vertebrae (Compression fractures from hitting head first). 150-160 Kmph into a cement curb followed by superman like flight over the handlebars and into the trees. Very Lucky to only have some minor back issues today.

I was in a lot of pain for the first few days but I was mobile in about a week. I still have my bad days but I have made a full recovery without requiring surgery. Back/Neck pain will probably be something that haunts both of us forever though. Massage therapy seems to help on my bad days. I hope she bounces back as quickly as I did.

·
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's a pretty nasty injury, I hope she recovers as quickly as she can.
Me too dude. She really is incredible. When she's back on our feet, come see her play man.

·
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WTF? I assume she was taken in on a spinal board...surely there's a clue into whether or not she should be made to get up and walk or not!

But then, I'm not doctor...so, I don't know, that's just my assumption.

I hope she makes a full and speedy recovery.
You'd think wouldn't you? Mind you that hospital really is shit. It's gotta be scraping the barrel on government statistics

·
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You'd be amazed how many times I or people I know have gone into emerg with pain (in my own case, this happened when I messed up my shoulder a year ago, and when I broke a wisdom tooth last December) and was basically made to wait a ridiculous amount of time, asked way too many questions, and basically treated like I'm just looking for painkillers to feed my drug habits before they were finally convinced that I was actually in pain. Hell, even the guy who looked in my mouth to see my broken tooth (which was ridiculously painful) was skeptical at first until he said "Oh, wait, there it is, yeah, that's broken." :noway:

Junkies and hypochondriacs are ruining the health care system, everywhere.
That to me dude, sounds like the health care system the world over! Everything there was far too familiar. Annoyingly there are no private hospitals here anymore, even if you did get annoyed with the national health system. They all privatised into insurances, yet in the 90's companies like BUPA would advertise sheer luxury in health care, at their facilities. It was too expensive for sure, but I'm sure MRSA was a lot lower then!

·
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry to hear. My thoughts are with her.

About 8 years ago I had a bad motorcycle accident that resulted in 3 badly fractured vertebrae (Compression fractures from hitting head first). 150-160 Kmph into a cement curb followed by superman like flight over the handlebars and into the trees. Very Lucky to only have some minor back issues today.

I was in a lot of pain for the first few days but I was mobile in about a week. I still have my bad days but I have made a full recovery without requiring surgery. Back/Neck pain will probably be something that haunts both of us forever though. Massage therapy seems to help on my bad days. I hope she bounces back as quickly as I did.
Ah man that really sucks, and I'm sorry to hear that, but it is comforting to know that you made a pretty decent recovery after a particularly horrifying injury. How long before you picked up an instrument again? They say she'll be wearing a back brace for a while. I can't imagine the pain you two went through, never having an injury remotely like that.

·
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Which hospital is she in?
Lewisham mate, waiting to be transferred to Kings College. Not being racist here at all, but I'll give you a tenner if you find a single british person working there, or can understand anyone.

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Never had any dealing with either of those, but I know the area around there is ripe for playing "spot the white person". And no, that's not being racist by simply telling the truth.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.