Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
This is one of my fav guitarists, Birelli Lagrene, playing with Sylvain Luc. Watch the whole thing, then crap yourself during each of their solos.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
This is the one I always go to:

Chet Atkins playing clean and bone dry, on an archtop, with heavy gauge strings. Sweeping. With a thumb pick. In 1975.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Honestly, Jerry's fingerpicking chops are far more impressive (at least to me) than sweeping. He was an amazingly underrated player, and Chet himself felt Jerry's fingerstyle was more advanced than his own.

·
Dont you love balls?
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No doubt, the finger picking was just at the level of an art form. That's the video that sparked me to post this thread. Why I posted the Kurt video was, when I first saw the video, my mouth was left open. The mere fact that it was improvising is amazing, but the technique was just fantastic as well, given the "hindrances" of it.

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts

Another vid in the same vein.

Scotty's way of alternate picking double-stops sounds just incredible, but is pretty much impossible for mere mortals...

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Sweep-picking is ridiculously easy compared to advanced finger-picking, IMHO.

Of course, it could be that I feel that way because I can't finger-pick worth shit. :lol:

BTW, there's just way too much win in all the vids in this thread.

·
Dont you love balls?
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is the one I always go to:

YouTube - Jerry Reed And Chet Atkins Jerrys Breakdown

Chet Atkins playing clean and bone dry, on an archtop, with heavy gauge strings. Sweeping. With a thumb pick. In 1975.
I actually missed this post :lol: That's so sick though..in 1975 :yesway:
And those are the reasons I listed that Kurts video was awesome.

Sweep-picking is ridiculously easy compared to advanced finger-picking, IMHO.

Of course, it could be that I feel that way because I can't finger-pick worth shit. :lol:

BTW, there's just way too much win in all the vids in this thread.
:agreed:

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
The unknown shredder strikes back... :metal:

:nuts:

Seriously though..there are some insanely good players in this thread. :yesway:

·
Dont you love balls?
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm afraid to click on any of these videos :(
Yeah, as I watch them I go back and forth between "how inspiring, WHERES MY GUITAR!" to, "I'd be lucky if I got half as good in twice the time :(".

There's some fantastic videos in here though :yesway:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts