Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do you do when you want a clean tone?

I noticed the new Maxon OD808 i got adds some dirt to the sound even with the gain at 0.

Any ideas? :)

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
'Too much' =/= 2 pedals. 'Too much' is turning off tremolo, delay and a filter pedal while changing channel and adding in my tubescreamer.

Man up. :flex: :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
'Too much' =/= 2 pedals. 'Too much' is turning off tremolo, delay and a filter pedal while changing channel and adding in my tubescreamer.

Man up. :flex: :lol:
Dude i honestly have a hard time switching channels and playing guitar at the same time :rofl:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
It's not transparent. If it were, you wouldn't have gotten it, right? :)

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's not transparent. If it were, you wouldn't have gotten it, right? :)
Well that's a good point, :rofl:

Just wondering if there was some tip for using it so it doesn't kill your clean channel.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
You may be able to dial your guitar's volume back a bit. The Maxon is pretty transparent in that it doesn't color the tone, just pushes it hard. Give it a shot.

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
What I usually do is turn off the Tubescreamer a few seconds before I actually have to switch to my clean channel. As long as you have the level on the pedal set to match the volume on your amp, nobody in the audience will notice if you lose a little bit of gain for a second on the tail end of a chord. That way you take care of it ahead of time and don't have to tap dance to hit the TS and your amp's foot switch at the same time.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
This is one of the things i loved about using my G-System. I could use it to switch channels on the amp and turn off the Tube Screamer loop simultaneously.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
get some rack gear and lose the pedals. Otherwise without controlled loops you're probably going to be doing some tap dancing.

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
What I usually do is not even use a tube screamer/OD. I feel that once you get up to a "live" volume, they are pretty useless and just rob you of the tonez!

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
Wirelessly posted (G2 The Googlinator: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_7; en-us) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Safari/530.17 Skyfire/2.0)

Stomp loop of my RP1k, though it's only used for soloing now. :lol:

·
Nine EMG Guitars
1,058 Posts
What I usually do is turn off the Tubescreamer a few seconds before I actually have to switch to my clean channel. As long as you have the level on the pedal set to match the volume on your amp, nobody in the audience will notice if you lose a little bit of gain for a second on the tail end of a chord. That way you take care of it ahead of time and don't have to tap dance to hit the TS and your amp's foot switch at the same time.
best answer its what i do

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
You could use your Axe-FX for the boost->preamp->effects part of your chain, and only the power amp section of your real amp. But I guess that defeats the purpose of having a tube amp head?
Or you could use the Axe FX wired up in 4-cable-method.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts